ad: elecraft

Petition RM-11833

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KWH, Apr 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Very cool!

Dave
    W7UUU

N2EY likes this.
  2. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Below is an example of the lack of safety procedures in Hollywood pertaining to an explosive device that detonated in LLoyd's hand (abstract) from Harold Lloyd's Wikipedia bio page :

"In August 1919, while posing for some promotional still photographs in the Los Angeles Witzel Photography Studio, he was seriously injured holding a prop bomb thought merely to be a smoke pot. It exploded and mangled his right hand, causing him to lose a thumb and forefinger. The blast was severe enough that the cameraman and prop director nearby were also seriously injured. Lloyd was in the act of lighting a cigarette from the fuse of the bomb when it exploded, also badly burning his face and chest and injuring his eye. Despite the proximity of the blast to his face, he retained his sight. As he recalled in 1930, "I thought I would surely be so disabled that I would never be able to work again. I didn't suppose that I would have one five-hundredth of what I have now. Still I thought, 'Life is worth while. Just to be alive. I still think so."[11]"

3. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

The NSC position is grounded in science. There is significant evidence that talking on cell phones while driving poses crash risk four times that of other drivers.

[. . .]
    From NSC
    We are not aware of evidence that using amateur radios while driving has significant crash risks. We also have no evidence that using two-way radios while driving poses significant crash risks. Until such time as compelling, peer-reviewed scientific research is presented that denotes significant risks associated with the use of amateur radios, two-way radios, or other communication devices, the NSC does not support legislative bands (sic) or prohibition on their use. [/QUOTE]

Thank you KX4O!!! Precisely what I failed to find, tho I did search. And it is exactly what I have been (saying) asking for! Official statement of these very facts! And they ARE facts.....not 'woulda', 'coulda', shoulda'! The use of cell phones poses driving crash risk by 4X that of other drivers. "We are not aware …….that using amateur radios (or other 2 way radios) poses significant driving risks". Now. Those very words hold much portent as to the need for regulation of amateur radio. "We are not aware...…………………" Why are they not "aware"? One cannot be aware of a risk if it is non-existent. In making decisions affecting the very freedoms we hold, we do not become "pro-active" to a non-existent threat, nor do we become "pro-active" to something we cannot prove with facts. The NSC has presented facts that show that the use of cell phones presents a 4-fold increase in incidents, while they do not find such evidence with regard to 2 way radios! And if there HAD been risk associated with 2 way radios, I believe NSC would have so found, and so stated. After all, while such weighted agencies, that is to say, agencies with hinted ties of authority or gov't., are there to promote "good" (?), they are also associated with the nanny state that is eager to suppress even the legitimate, free motion of the population IF they can. It is part and parcel of the liberal establishment. SO! With that said, IF NSC could have FOUND something that tied 2 way radio to "4X", or "2X" the accidents, they would have done so! You better believe it!

Thank you KX4O!!! Precisely what I failed to find, tho I did search. And it is exactly what I have been (saying) asking for! Official statement of these very facts! And they ARE facts.....not 'woulda', 'coulda', shoulda'! The use of cell phones poses driving crash risk by 4X that of other drivers. "We are not aware …….that using amateur radios (or other 2 way radios) poses significant driving risks". Now. Those very words hold much portent as to the need for regulation of amateur radio. "We are not aware...…………………" Why are they not "aware"? One cannot be aware of a risk if it is non-existent. In making decisions affecting the very freedoms we hold, we do not become "pro-active" to a non-existent threat, nor do we become "pro-active" to something we cannot prove with facts. The NSC has presented facts that show that the use of cell phones presents a 4-fold increase in incidents, while they do not find such evidence with regard to 2 way radios! And if there HAD been risk associated with 2 way radios, I believe NSC would have so found, and so stated. After all, while such weighted agencies, that is to say, agencies with hinted ties of authority or gov't., are there to promote "good" (?), they are also associated with the nanny state that is eager to suppress even the legitimate, free motion of the population IF they can. It is part and parcel of the liberal establishment. SO! With that said, IF NSC could have FOUND something that tied 2 way radio to "4X", or "2X" the accidents, they would have done so! You better believe it!

I will pass this along to Scott Stone, Wireless Bureau at once!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  4. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

5. K4KWH

6. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you do, you need to post the email as "Ex Parte" in the RM11833 record.

7. K4KWH

Darn computer glitch made for the dupe posts! And I will do so prior to my written contact to Scott Stone! Tnx again!

8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

It's the matrix fighting back.

9. K4KWH

:):) Must be!

10. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In case anyone wonders what happened to this petition - FCC dismissed it back in October.

From the ARRL Letter for October 10, 2019:

FCC Dismisses Three Petitions for Rule Making Filed by Radio Amateurs

The FCC has dismissed petitions for rule making filed in 2018 by three radio amateurs. All of the petitions were put on public notice earlier this year and comments invited.

The FCC also
    turned away a Petition (RM – 11833) from Jerry Oxendine, K4KWH, of Gastonia, North Carolina, who asked the FCC to clarify that states and localities should have no authority to regulate Amateur Radio with respect to enacting “distracted driving” statutes. Oxendine argued that such statutes violate FCC rules on scope and operation of equipment by licensees; violate the intent of the FCC and Congress with respect to Amateur Radio’s role in disasters, and hinder emergency operations using mobile equipment.

In denying the request, the FCC took issue with Oxendine’s assertion that the strong federal interest in promoting Amateur Radio communication should preempt distracted driving laws.

“Laws that prohibit talking on handheld communications devices while driving do not preclude or unreasonably obstruct mobile use of handheld two – way radios,” the FCC said in denying Oxendine’s petition. “These laws apply to the use of handheld devices while driving. A driver can comply with these laws by using a hands – free attachment or by parking the vehicle prior to using a handheld device, both of which are contemplated by our rules regarding two – way radios.”

The FCC said, “The record before us does not demonstrate that state and local laws that prohibit talking on handheld devices while driving stand as an obstacle to amateur communications or actually conflict with federal law in any way.” Read
    more.

NN4RH and (deleted member) like this.