ad: AlphaRF-1

Petition RM-11833

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KWH, Apr 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

"Could be", "would be", "maybe" , "should of", "might be" are speculative terms.

2. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Precisely! Which is exactly such laws are based upon: Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda, might be. Again, a court of law requires EVIDENCE. We have not been in the habit of enacting laws based on abstracts. Until the evidence is produced to show that the 2 way radio causes accidents even at a fraction of that shown by the cell phone, there is no need for one more nanny state law that produces nothing to reduce accidents resulting from cell phone use!

3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah....no. When it comes to safety, one needs to be proactive, not reactive. One needs to think ahead. Safety should be paramount in all our endeavors. Even a simple mistake can have disastrous consequences.

BUT....what is "safety", anyway?

Safety is.... a state of mind. To be safe, one must always be thinking "what could POSSIBLY go wrong?" and then figure out ways to minimize the risk of bad things happening. One can never eliminate all risk, but one can and should minimize it. Often this can be done by very simple actions such as using the right tool for the job - always.

The key is always thinking: "what could POSSIBLY go wrong?"

I used to think this was just common sense - that anyone who was even close to adulthood thought this way. But I was mistaken.

Many years ago, I had a summer job in construction. In any construction gang there are all the usual types - the would-be Romeo who's always getting his heart broken, the sports fanatic, the trivia buff, the gambler, the brainiac with a million get-rich-quick schemes that never quite work out, and more.

But the one I remember the best from that summer was Paddy O'Flaherty, who was a real eager beaver. First on the site in the morning, last to leave at night, always looking for a faster, easier way to do the job - that was our Paddy. All good stuff.....except that he didn't always think about "what could POSSIBLY go wrong?".

O'Flaherty was, of course, an Irishman, come over from the Ould Sod years before. Some long-timers claimed that his brogue increased the longer he was in the USA - when he first came over, it was hardly noticeable. Paddy had the gift of gab and would often regale us with tall tales or speak in rhyme.

So it should not have been a surprise when, one day, Paddy wasn't first at the site. We became concerned when it was almost starting time and no Paddy. Finally a messenger arrived and gave the supervisor a note. He read it, then gave it to me (the new guy) and told me to read it aloud to the whole gang.

What that note said made such an impression on me that I still remember every word, from that day to this:

"Dear boss, I write this note to you, to tell you of me plight,
    And at the time of writing, I am not a pretty sight,
    My body is all black and blue, me face a deathly gray,
    And I hope you'll understand why Paddy's not at work today.

Whilst working on the 14th floor, some bricks I had to clear,
    And throwin' 'em down from such a height was not a good idea.
    The foreman wasn't pleasant, the bloody awkward sod,
    He said I'd have to take them down the ladders in me hod.

Well, clearing all those bricks by hand, it was so awful slow,
    So I hoisted up a barrel, and secured the rope below,
    But in my haste to do the job, I was too blind to see,
    That a barrel full of building bricks was heavier than me.

So when I went down to loose the knot, the barrel fell like lead,
    And clinging tightly to the rope, I started up instead,
    I shot up like a rocket, and to my surprise I found,
    That halfway up, I met the loaded barrel coming down.

Well the barrel broke me shoulder, as to the ground it sped,
    And when I reached the top, I hit the pully with me head,
    I spun around all stunned and shocked from this almighty blow,
    While the barrel spilled out half the bricks, fourteen floors below.

Now when these bricks had fallen from the barrel to the floor,
    I then outweighed the barrel and I started down once more,
    I clung on tightly to the rope, my body wracked with pain,
    When halfway down, I met the bloody barrel once again.

Now the force of this collision, halfway up the office block,
    Caused multiple contusions and a nasty state of shock,
    Still clinging tightly to the rope, I headed towards the ground,
    And landed on those broken bricks that were that were all scattered 'round.

As I lay moaning on the bricks, I thought I'd passed the worst,
    But the barrel hit the pully-wheel, and then the bottom burst,
    A shower of bricks rained down on me, I hadn't got a hope,
    And as I was losing consciousness, I let go of the rope.

Now the barrel being heavier, it started down once more,
    It struck across me smartly as I lay there on the floor,
    It broke three ribs and my left arm, and I can only say,
    That I hope you'll understand why Paddy's not at work today."

Be safe, folks!

[/QUOTE]

N2SR, KU4X, AC0GT and 1 other person like this.
  4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

^ ^ ^ This.
    That's the reason for warning labels/signs, OSHA, et cetera. Many of us can project the possible result of risky action; others, not so much. The OP might be able to "walk & chew gum at the same time"; others, not so much.

N2EY likes this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Remove all the safety labels and cleanse the gene pool. Might make things safer in the long run.

6. N2EY

The problem is that, all too often, the unsafe folks take others with them when they go.

Example: No matter how good a driver you are, and no matter what you drive, there are situations where, if another driver does something spectacularly stupid at the right place and time, the result is not survivable.

KU4X likes this.
  7. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

To a point we have been proactive given the studies that exist leading to this collection of points...

Obviously holding a PTT mic isn't a problem. Fiddling with an APRS radio? That's another story.

I don't agree with the OP about blanket federal preemption, but do see state/local legislatures can be startlingly clueless and quite smug about their cluelessness.

8. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Harold Clayton Lloyd - one of the greats of the silent film era with some pretty outlandish stunts in his day - LONG before safety concerns were given much credence in the movie industry!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Lloyd

[​IMG]

Dave
    W7UUU

W2AI likes this.
  10. N2EY

Here's how that sequence was actually done:

Hlloyd.jpg

W2AI likes this.