ad: MLSons-1

Petition on amateur antennas to UK Parliament launched

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by MW1CFN, Aug 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Having already gained about 2500 signatures, a petition that I understand was launched by M0PLT, to relax planning restrictions on amateur and C.B. antennas in the UK is underway.

At 10,000 (UK only) signatures, Parliament has to respond to the subject matter of the petition.

There is precious little lobbying going on by national societies, so if you are in the UK, please sign the petition.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/202179

KA8UGB, G3SEA and KM4TIN like this.
  2. M0REU

M0REU Ham Member QRZ Page

Done.

3. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good luck!

KG5THG and KF4ZKU like this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. :(
    That's more than we get in the US. :)

KF4ZKU likes this.
  5. G4OBB

G4OBB Ham Member QRZ Page

About time......a quick tip...pick an area where the council is under financial pressure ( most are , northhampton almost skint ) get a mast on legs ( scam 40 is good ) ....let it run....they may threaten you, and even issue an " enforcement notice " ------they did me...over 2 years ago ----ignore it.......if you do get as far as a court ( unlikely ) argue that it's totally portable...my handbook with my scam 40 indicates a 15 minute deployment.
    Too bad we only have a small voice....years ago everyone had a mast or pole in their yard to receive radio....
    Fight guys, fight....we can be victorious....someone needs to take this all the way. Even a short spell in jail if necessary......I have added my name! good luck ....If these type of indignations make you tremble with rage, then you are a comrade of mine.....quote commandante Che Guevara.....fight for what you need ... 73 Des

KF4ZKU and US7IGN like this.
  6. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

planning permission is easy if you go about it the right way..
    my advise is go and tell you neighbours of your intensions before you put any antennas up..
    they don,t like suprises when you start putting antennas in the air..
    and yes I did get planning permission for my 10 element log periodic..

KF4ZKU likes this.
  7. G4IYK

G4IYK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

8. G4IYK

G4IYK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is also an international campaign in support of M0PAM who is currently challenging a blanket ban on the erection of antennas imposed on him by Canterbury City Council. This has 43000 signatures.

In 2018 this campaign took the opportunity to share its experience with the dept for planning, housing and local government during the recent consultation into the national planning policy framework, revised in March and now republished in July 2018. In March, it informed the RSGB it was taking that opportunity and agreed some of the changes that would make a difference. Also the campaign had the opportunity to revise Armando's planning appeal in the light of the new document, with the planning inspectorate. We were pleased to note changes that we think would be helpful to amateur antenna constructors. It remains to be seen whether these will filter through to councils or indeed meet our perceptions. We think the RSGB should revise the document, share their response to it and tell its members what the changes are, and how they affect radio amateurs. In the mean time we would welcome any sensible petition that highlights and removes the issues that Armando, and others have had as a result of an ambiguous, and easily misunderstood\misused and abused UK planning system.

73 de Stu, G4IYK
    for the Armando Martins Campaign

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  9. 2E0EUG

2E0EUG XML subscriber QRZ Page

Signed

10. 2E0WMG

2E0WMG Ham Member QRZ Page

No doubt this will be unpopular but....

Even if this petition gets the required 10,000 signatures it has no legs. Essentially what it calls for is zero planning permission, zero municipal oversight, zero restrictions on erecting anything we want. This is simply not going to happen.

I agree with the sentiment expressed by M1MWL above. I would not say it is always easy but truth is many hams do not apply for permission when a reasonable well considered application would stand a very good chance of being granted. Reasons for not doing so would include laziness and ignorance of the process, reluctance or a lack of ability to pay the costs associated with an applicatuon. In many cases I suspect it is due to an expectation that planning permission would be refused, so why bother.

To expect the authorities to agree we should be able to sling up a 100ft lattice mast up with a six ele beam for 40m on top in a suburban plot where we all live cheek by jowl, or in an area of natural beauty with no restrictions is a tad naive I would suggest. The petition is ill conceived, badly written and will get nowhere.

Is there a case for a relaxation of the current regulations? Possibly but this is not the answer.

There, I’ve said it, bring on the flames.

G6YYN, M0TAZ, M6LKL and 8 others like this.
  11. M1WML

i had 8 neighbours against my planning application but i still got it...;)
    as i said its very EASY if you go about it the right way..

G4IYK likes this.
  12. 2E0WMG

2E0WMG Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice work, and it looks pretty good to me, glad it all worked out for you. I take it you had the good sense to apply before you put it up?

M1WML likes this.
  13. G8KHS

G8KHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Signed, thank you for bringing it to our attention John.

14. M1WML

i had always had smallish type of antennas any for the last 30 years so the neighbours had an idea what it was all about.
    but i did have letters to the council saying..(if he puts that antenna up i will be steralized and i would not be able to have
    any more kids).. yep you better believe it...

GD0OUD likes this.
  15. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Worthy effort !
    Up and at em' :)

G3SEA/KH6

M1WML likes this.