ad: LZQSLprint-1

Petition calls on Ofcom to issue Vanity Call Signs

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jun 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. MM0XXW

MM0XXW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You took the words right out of my mouth Karl-Arne, I'm with you in thinking that that will definately almost surely be the route Ofcom will take and £$€PLENTY will be the cost of your shiny new vanity callsign here in the UK!

2. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

We have this situation in Sweden, and it was recently only
    narrowly avoided in Denmark.

"Be very careful for what you wish for, because you might get it..."

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

KU4X likes this.
  3. G3NYY

G3NYY Ham Member QRZ Page

Not only the fees for vanity callsigns. I did actually sign this petition and I was immediately presented with a request from the petition company to send them money!!!
    I wish I hadn't bothered to sign it now. Is it some kind of scam?

Walt (G3NYY)

4. GW0TAU

GW0TAU Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KO0KY

KO0KY Ham Member QRZ Page

A completely uncalled for and snide comment. Very revealing of M6ENP's character.

M0REU and MM0XXW like this.
  6. N4MIT

N4MIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm an extra class and IDGARA... just sayin. OfCom must be a division of the MOSW (ministry of silly walks).

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    MM0XXW likes this.
  7. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

At least SOMEBODY wants to be like the United States ... and at a time when US popularity is at a solar minimum, too!

8. W6UXB

W6UXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Paul, there is no official paperwork for kicking someone out the pub! cheers Mate! (I guess he did not know I was from the UK)

G3SEA likes this.
  9. N4MIT

N4MIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Getting your panties in a bunch because someone asks "what is OfCom" is a bit childish, don't ya think?

10. W6UXB

Ofcom is the regulatory board in the UK that governs radio communications, I have always found them to be professional, compassionate! (will explain that if anyone is interested) and efficient as was my experience with the FCC system. I live in the US but maintain a small HF station in Brentwood, Essex, The RSGB and the ARRL are doing all they can for hams on an ever shrinking budget I am sure amateur radio operators world wide would miss their services.

11. G1XXV

G1XXV Ham Member QRZ Page

12. G1XXV

G1XXV Ham Member QRZ Page

Funny that, I have a vanity number plate in the UK, my initials are TJB which is part of my number plate on my car.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    MM0XXW likes this.
  13. G3ZPF

G3ZPF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"...Good idea but doubt it will happen..."

It has been happening for years, so the petition is pushing an open door.

There is a thriving black market in getting yourself issued with 2-letter callsigns after original OP goes SK.

Ocom's official view is that callsigns are reissued only under 'exceptional circumstances' but there are plenty of examples to indicate that is pure BS.

It seems to depend on what you know, and who you know, not what Ofcom says officially.

14. M0XTE

M0XTE Ham Member QRZ Page

Consistency over time and actually using your current call is more important than personal vanity if you ask me.

Do you change your name because a shorter one comes along?

15. W6UXB

Your 'vanity' plate in the UK is a plate that was already issued, I know there is a big market in the UK for previously issued plates, that by coincidence spell out 'partially' what you want my brother in law had ROY V12 it is not exactly what he wanted but it came close, in the US (California) you can decide exactly what you want up to 7 characters (including some signs like a heart or hand) and apply for it as long as it has not been taken or obscene I have had many vanity plates in the US that are issued directly from the Department of motor vehicles and not some broker making tons of money, my best one was 14ARSNL Guess what team I support!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019