Peterbilt 579 installation input

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by K0BLR, Jan 27, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K0BLR

K0BLR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi there everyone,

Are there any truck drivers on here at all? I’m driving a peterbilt 579 and I want to stick a radio in it. The problem how do I mount an antenna on it? Please provide photos if you have any. The company I drive for seem very open to mounting a radio in the truck.

Ben K0BLR
    Bynum transport #2353

2. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What sort of radio? VHF, VHF/UHF, HF< all of the above? Many truckers use mirror mounts with great success. You might want to go that way whatever portion of the spectrum you wish to use.

3. WD5GWY

WD5GWY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, I have run mobile HF in a 2004 379 Peterbilt.
    Best antenna was a Little Tarheel II mounted on the drivers side mirror. A radio with a remote head makes mounting a bit easier since you can mount the body in more places. Especially if you have a CB in your truck as well.
    If your radio is VHF/UHF you can do basically the same thing.
    With an HF, VHF/UHF mobile, mount the VHF/UHF antenna on the passenger side mirror.
    All this assumes your truck has old school west coast mirrors, not like the ones on most fleet trucks that have a single arm holding the mirrors. In that case, you'll have to purchase one or two of the brackets made to mount antennas on those ytpe of mirrors.
    The biggest issue beyond that is RFI from the trucks computers. Proper bonding will help.
    Lots of things to think about.
    James
    WD5GWY

K0UO likes this.
  4. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to have a mirror mount for a 3/8-24 antenna on each mirror. I used the driver side for a 6 meter vertical and the passenger side for a 2m/70 cm vertical. I found that the Wilson CB antenna worked pretty good on 10 meters. I used another mirror mount style clamp to put a hamstick on the bar across the back of the tractor that supported the trailer air hoses and light cord. This made the tip of the antenna a bit over 13' 6" unfortunately. It would often hit on bridges which caused the stinger to curl up kind of ugly.

5. WV8CDB

WV8CDB Ham Member QRZ Page

So far I just have a dual band Yaesu in the truck but the Diamond K400 lip mount works pretty well above the window on the passenger side door of the International I’m driving.
    Charlie
    WV8CDB

6. W5HV

W5HV Ham Member QRZ Page

used a perth outbacker for years mirror mount cant hardly tell the differance between
    that and a cb antenna 20180626_181644.jpg 20180626_181644.jpg 20180626_181644.jpg 20180626_181644.jpg