Pet Peeve RE: CW

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by K8CPA, Aug 27, 2016.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It depends on if her name is Mary or Nancy ;)

W5BIB likes this.
  2. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

30.4 μs÷640 dots=475 ns=21.05 MHz
    https://www.google.com/patents/US5673058

"snip~ When the horizontal display time and the vertical display time of the analog CRT display 104 are made 30.4 μs and 16.11 ms, respectively, since the display time of one dot is made 30.4 μs÷640 dots=475 ns=21.05 MHz, a dot clock of 21.05 MHz is inputted to the dot clock terminal DOTCK of the color palette CPLT from an oscillation circuit (not shown). The horizontal/veritcal synchronizing signal SYNC output from the graphic controller 101 is supplied to the synchronizing signal terminal SYNC of the color palette CPLT. Consequently, the analog color signals AR, AG, and AB are supplied to the CRT display 104 in synchronization with the synchronizing signal SYNC and the dot clock. The display access operation speed of the color palette CPTL is made 80-150 MHz, for example. ~snip"

I'm guessing you already knew this :)
    For those not "in on the jk" this same oscillator product is present in many video processors.

3. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have my own shortcomings as a ham. An Elmer now SK willed me a vintage Vibroblex as a parting shot. He humorously called me a semi-literate ham as my lack of code recognition was only surpassed by my ham fist. When forced to send by lack of modulation some years (decades) ago I received QRS more than I sent it. Yup I suck at a straight key. I'm probably doing the CW community a favor by leaving the key in a drawer.

Am I a bad ham? No. Semi-literate, code challenged, ham fisted maybe but not a bad ham. Switch to phone? No. Use phone as well as the key? Sure. Agreed, there is the Maunder minimum and man made noise aplenty but worthwhile voice contacts are still there. By your own description alone you are not a bad ham.

4. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Lisa; Yes, I bought a Pet Peeve at the pet store.
    I returned it however.
    It kept peeving on the floor and wouldn't learn how to peeve on newspaper...

N6QIC likes this.
  5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

At one time or another, everyone sucks at SOMETHING. The important thing is to move on when it's no longer fun.

My hotrod isn't the quickest but, especially considering it's stickshifted, it is pretty consistent. The worst part is the nut behind the steering wheel ("cutting a good light" is a throw of the dice). But, it's [still] fun. :)

Bryan WA7PRC
    NHRA ET6201

N2EY likes this.
  6. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know about Jim's source but the interpretation of Manmade vs. Noise (atmospherics) is as old as ham radio, or nearly so

"QRM Do you have interference? [from other stations] I have interference."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_code

whether it's "common knowledge" among hams or not, that's what I've understood since I first learned the Q codes in the 70's

7. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just cited the ARRL because there are a lot of ARRL fans on the Zed. N2EY likes to whine if someone doesn't cite the source of their information, yet he himself never does, he just spouts things off the top of his head. Kudos to you for doing some research before posting and providing a link to your research for others to read and make up their own mind. If more people did that, the Zed would be more informational and less argumentative. Your link has mulitple definitions for QRM/QRN.....that's interesting.

But really, it's a silly argument, I was just trying to prove a point. Jimbo doesn't ever cite his "facts" and then flames other people who do. I realize I am being argumentative at this point, but it's happened to me too often to ignore. Thanks again for the info. Nicely done.

8. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You want a link? OK, how about this one:

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Get on the Air/Comm w Other Hams-Q Signals.pdf

QRN means "Are you troubled by static?"/"I am troubled by static" (depending on whether a question mark is used).

"Static" refers to electrical noise, regardless of source. Lightning, ignition noise, power line noise, commutator noise, switching power supply noise, etc. Pretty much everything EXCEPT other radio transmissions.

QRM means "Is my transmission being interfered with?"/"Your transmission is being interfered with" (depending on whether a question mark is used). Since electrical noise has been covered by QRN, that leaves just other radio signals - from radio transmitters.

There you go. All done. Plain and simple facts.

N8AFT and K3XR like this.
  9. N2EY

Not true. Not true at all. You wanted a link, I posted a link. I frequently provide links and references to books and other sources.

If my information is ever in error, I admit it and correct it - when it is shown to be in error.

So what is the difference between QRM and QRN?

Who is "Jimbo"?

10. N2EY

Do you still have it? What make and model?