Pet Peeve RE: CW

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by K8CPA, Aug 27, 2016.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. K8CPA

K8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a peevish thing of mine. I, just now, was calling CQ here on 40. 7.038 to be exact. Someone answers me; now keep in mind, it's the summer, and I've got alot of noise here and he's down in the noise. So, I send back:

SRI OM QRN HR AGN DE K8CPA K

He was a 5-lander

Nil response. I called a few times, even said:

K5? U STILL HR OM? DE K8CPA

Again, Nil response.

Does it actually kill someone to send there call a few times? I love CW and all. But sometimes.... :mad:

(Edited to reflect the proper Q-Signal - 27 years and still can't get 'em right...:rolleyes:)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  2. K8CPA

FWIW, I was sending at about 15 WPM. Which quite slow for me.

3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Maybe he couldn't copy you at all either due to noise (QRN) or interference from other stations (QRM) and thought you were the one who disappeared.

QRM is not noise. Noise is QRN. Other stations causing interference is QRM

[edit] I notice you edited your post regarding QRM.... got it

Dave
    W7UUU

AG5DB and N2EY like this.
  4. K8CPA

Oops. It wasn't man made, it was band noise. Hence it was QRN. Oopsie.:confused:;):)

5. K8CPA

it could have been, band was up and down. He seemed rather strong though. Maybe band is up and down... Still grrrr... :p

6. K8CPA

"-Chuck K8CPA - 27 years - Originally Licensed March 1989"

and still don't know my QRM from my QRN... :D:po_O

K9ASE likes this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It could be too that the other guy was just nervous and bailed - I recall a time or two in the 1970s as a new Novice that I did that, just because I didn't feel that I could copy well enough to maintain a contact or copy the other op.

Hard to say.... I wouldn't worry much about it.

Good on you for doing CW!!

Dave
    W7UUU

W8ZNX likes this.
  8. KI6J

KI6J Ham Member QRZ Page

Peeves make lousy pets. The feral ones shouldn't be fed.

9. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe he had a power failure. Maybe his antenna fell down. Maybe propagation quickly turned sour between your location and his. Maybe his wife or girlfriend came in the room with an urgent demand. Maybe his wife AND girlfriend both came in the room together with a very urgent demand.

Point is, there's no way of knowing why a CW station disappears suddenly. It occasionally happens. Maybe the other guy is being a jerk, but I tend to try and give a person the benefit of the doubt when I really have no idea what's going on.

N2UHC, K3XR, WA7ANT and 7 others like this.
  10. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

Just don't take it personally and move on.

But talk about your jerks.... this reminds me of one of my first CW contacts. I thought I had a decent fist but I wasn't very fast. So this guy answers my CQ and I come back to him with the obligatory UR RPT 5NN 5NN OP SCOTT SCOTT QTH NR ST LOUIS ST LOUIS HW CPY? and this guy comes back to me with SO LID. It took me awhile, but I eventually got over it!

AF7XT, WA4KCN and W3ATV like this.