Perusing my new Greenlee lust list

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KL7AJ, Oct 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Boy they sure make a lot of tools. All kinds of different shape chassis punches and such. I think I'll order one of everything.

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm....wonder if I need a pneumatic post hole digger.....

3. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a Greenlee DM860A, multi-meter and built like a tank. I'll have no hesitation in recommending them... ain't exactly pneumatic though. These are similar to the Brymans range.

Dave

4. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Greenlee has been around since the invention of Dirt. Great products for sure!!

5. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have abused the heck out of Greenlee tools for 3 1/2 decades. Great products.
    I also second their meters. Rugged & consistent.

Ed

6. N0IOP

N0IOP Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought they were great before I discovered unibits.

I always wanted the square ones.

WA7PRC likes this.
  7. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Many less expensive unibits have just 1 cutting surface. They will skew from center. For accuracy, a punch or a 2 cut unibit is better.
    At work, I have to line up as many as 16 holes accurately on a regular basis.
    We have square & rectangle punches of various sizes, too.

Ed

8. W0RIO

W0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

The DB-25 punch is the cat's meow, although few are using DB-25 connectors for RS-232 anymore.
    If you've ever had to manually file out a DB-25 connector hole, you can appreciate those punches.

I had a ton of free surplus/used DB-25 connectors and standardized on them for all of my 12V needs.
    I just parallel a bunch of pins together for each polarity and leave a gap of unused pins in the middle to prevent
    shorts, that becomes a 30+ amp connector with gold-plated pins.

Most hams would probably just use Anderson Power Poles for 12V, but free connectors worked fine for me.

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

My big "Greenlee Regret" is selling off my Greenlee Tube Socket punch kit 20 years ago - when I thought "I'll never do tube projects again" :(

It had a punch for 7-pin, 9-pin, octal, Loctal, and a few generics like squares, meter holes etc.

The odds of ever finding that complete tube punch kit again are so close to zero as to be zero. Or if I did find it, it would be $1000 on eBay

Dave
    W7UUU

N2EY likes this.
  10. N6RGR

N6RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

About ten years ago I bought one of the old Lafayette branded hole punch sets. It has been used numerous times since. The new flavor of the month are the titanium coated step drill bits which allow me to use a bench top drill press and drill out successively larger holes. I keep thinking about purchasing a larger 2" and 2.5 inch Greenlee punches for panel meters, but that are pricey!!

Roger N6RGR