Perhaps it's the rain doing this to me?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KM6CND, Dec 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

Rain came to visit So Cal yesterday and it continues as I write. Last night I set up to check into the Western Public Service Net @ 3.952, I went up 5 and hit the tune button. I then ID'd and was shocked to see ABSOLUTELY no Reflected power... couldn't believe what I saw, so I move to CW mode and yup, nothing.

I have a home brew made from a MFJ 33' mast and a wire, with 3 random length wires for counterpoise, supported by a Chanel Master tripod. I have never worked voice without seeing some reflection. The only thing that is unusual is everything is wet outside! Not much rain as in years past. I checked in to the WPSS and heard myself clearly on the Utah SDR.

What da ya know about that?

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

You thought the old hams were kidding when they told stories about watering their antennas in dry weather?? :eek: ;)

K9ASE and KM6CND like this.
  3. KD4IEM

KD4IEM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like you just needed a little attenuation. :cool:

KK5JY likes this.
  4. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The meter might be playing tricks on you.

5. KM6CND

I have a ground rod just outside the shack window. I've shot some water at it from time to time, it's not getting any taller at least.

KB2SUJ and KK5JY like this.
  6. KM6CND

Swapped meters, same result, zero

7. KM6CND

As things dry out, I'm not going to touch that tune button and see if the reflection returns.

W1TRY likes this.
  8. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Things change in the rain, perhaps you got lucky this time, assuming the readings are correct, which I would check... Detune your antenna a slightly, and see if the SWR creeps up. It is odd that the SWR is 1:1 at phone, and CW though. I am assuming your antenna tuner did not tune between those two points, if not, then I would start suspecting my test setup at this point...

9. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "What da ya know about that?"

I can easily see a 15 to 18 kHz kHz shift in resonant frequency in my 160 tuned loop when it rains ... that puts me "out of the money" and calls for a quick trip out the door to the tuning cap on the loop for a re-tune ...

KM6CND likes this.
  10. KM6CND

Just for fun, I checked the antenna with my RigExpert and it shows

1.14 SWR native

The antenna is still up and everything is still wet.

The chain is

Radio - MFJ Travel Tuner (on bypass) - MFJ-267 dummy (on bypass) - DAIWA meter (just because) - Antenna switch - antenna.

I use the travel tuner on 40 with a G5RV Jr

When I place the meter on it's lowest position, it shows about 2 watts of reflection on voice.

So far, so good.