ad: KF7PMW-1

Perfect Paint Matching

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KI7WQH, May 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K6DWI

K6DWI Ham Member QRZ Page

Most automotive paint suppliers can match the color within a few percent with a spectrophotometer.
    Most can also mix into a spray can here in CA for about $18.00
    I'm talking about a high quality, durable finish by companies like PPG.

2. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Quick question. I took my 101 speaker into Prescott valley AZ sherwin Williams and they had it for a hour and matched it. The paint type has me worried. Its the pro classic interior acrylic latex. Is this what you use? Will this work? I tested a few spots on the bezel and it seems spot on.
    Thanks

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well...it ain't exactly the Mona Lisa you're trying to restore....well, maybe..... HI

4. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

HVR:

I normally do use the acrylic latex. It "dries to the touch" in a matter of minutes. However, at that point the finish is soft. It takes, generally, between 48-hours and 72-hours for the paint to "cure" and then it becomes hard.

Glen, K9STH

5. KG7HVR

I painted the trim bezel on the 101 with it. My hvlp sprayer couldn't make it really smooth like i want but it came out ok. I guess i need to use my airless or thin it.
    They are charging $30 a quart now.
    Heres some pics 20191204_161843.jpg 20191204_161901.jpg 20191204_175829.jpg 20191204_180243.jpg

VK6APZ likes this.
  6. K9STH

I generally do thin the paint a little for best operation with my paint guns.

The cost of paint is going up and up. I do have a commercial account with Sherwin-Williams and that does help a little with the cost. Still not cheap but definitely better than having to pay retail!

Glen, K9STH

7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

REPAINT, and thin no more.

W1TRY, NE4EB, VK6APZ and 2 others like this.
  8. K9STH

AJ:

Go sit in a corner for 30-minutes to repent for that BAD joke! :D

Glen, K9STH

9. KG7HVR

Ill repent later haha. Its back on its shelf and you cant tell. But basically ive got enough paint to probably do 1000 ft101 radios trim. Whats the shelf life? I used the rustoleum winter grey for the case
    Its close match but not as good as I wanted. My other 101 is in good enough shape i wont bother having paint made for the cabinet. I see where the paint got much harder.
    Have you ever used dunn Edwards. They are about half the price and pretty popular here in Prescott valley AZ. I never heard of them till we moved here from Seattle

10. VK6APZ

VK6APZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My friend Neil gets the Kenwood paint made in a spray can and its pretty spot on to me.
    The Kenwood gear looks good now.

Attached Files: