Perfect Paint Matching

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KI7WQH, May 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KI7WQH

KI7WQH Ham Member QRZ Page

Im looking to repaint my ft-101 and accessories that all have pretty bad scratches and/or rust but I would like to match the paint EXACTLY because my FL-2100B has flawless paint and the paint on my transverters is pretty close to perfect. I saw on the fox tango site people recommend a color that I purchased (winter grey) but after trying some out I discovered that it lacked the hint of green that exists in the original paint and doesn't match up well.
    I took some photos and white balanced them and got exact color values that would work, but after looking around on the internet I could only find a place that would make pantone colored paints. I have some pantone colors that are really close to the original colors but it costs about 60 bucks a can and I'd hate to order them and then discover that they weren't as close in real life as they were on my computer.
    Does anyone know of a place that would let me bring in one of my units with good paint that would then mix up a can of spray paint for me that would match? I know places like home depot etc will do some color matching but they don't provide spray paint as far as I can tell and I'd like to avoid having to get a pain sprayer just for this project as I would only need a couple cans of paint. If I could know for sure that the pantone colored paint would work I would just pay the 60 bucks but I can imagine a scenario where I end up having to order several cans.
    There is a guy on ebay who also sells ft-101 paint but he has some health problems and isn't shipping anything out.
    Thanks in advance!

-Steve

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I get all my "boat anchor" cabinet paints "computer matched" at my local Sherwin-Williams store. However, "computer matching" does not always produce a perfect match. But, there are several employees at this particular store who can make the necessary changes, in the formula, and do get a "perfect" match.

The smallest quantity of paint that they will match is 1-quart.

However, that store, and most of the Sherwin-Williams stores around the country, do NOT have the capability of loading spray cans.

I do have an air compressor and paint guns. But, there are various airless paint guns available starting at less than $40.00 that should be satisfactory for small jobs like what you are doing.

Here is the article from my website about "boat anchor" painting:

http://nebula.wsimg.com/4edb6c0bffb...50C433DB440D6B60D&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

By the way, my middle daughter, and her family, live in Scottsdale!

Glen, K9STH

WA7PRC and KI7WQH like this.
  3. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu actually used several different colours for the cases on the FT101 series . . .

The early models (which had a silver bezel around the front panel) had a fairly light grey, which also had a kind of "fleck" effect in the paint.

But the later models varied from year to year . . . some are a plain grey . . . some had a slight green tinge to it. I recently bought a second FT101E (as it was going really cheap) . . . but the paint is a different colour to the one I bought new when I worked for Yaesu.

So I'm afraid there is not ONE particular FT101 case colour !

There are Car Accessory shops here in Britain where you can give them a sample of the colour (easy with the FT101 as you can just take off the lid) and they will mix an Aerosol can of spray paint for you for £16.

Roger G3YRO

KI7WQH likes this.
  4. KI7WQH

KI7WQH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks! I had a stroke of good (i hope) luck and the ebay guy just responded and said he will send some paint out - will check back with you guys and let you know how it turns out. If not I'll check out SW. Also, Scottsdale is nice but it's about to get HOT!

Yes, I think the UK has better paint suppliers because all the spray places I found online that would give me custom paint were in the UK!

5. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

OK . . . but how do you know it will be the right colour for YOUR particular FT101?!

As well as my two FT101Es having different case colours, I also have an SP101, which is different again !

Roger G3YRO

6. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish you luck of getting an exact match. Even with the help of computer matching, its almost impossible. Many times paint color slightly varied off the assembly line. There were different variations with heath kit and kenwood.

7. N4MTB

N4MTB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Most larger auto body shops mix their own paint and have the talent to match any color. They usually will mix you a small amount...for cash.
    Harbor freight has what you need for under $100. Of coarse the body shop will do the whole job for you too, but the cost might be too high.

8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

They must of got that idea from Heath!

KE4OH likes this.
  9. KK6IYM

KK6IYM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a paint shop in my business, but would never use it to paint a radio case. It would cost me too much money. My local powder coater will strip the cabinet to bare metal and powder coat a color from the chart for about $80. For several parts and several colors, the radio has a bullet-proof coating for about $90.

Many radios only need touch-up. This I do with an artist brush and carefully just paint the exact area that is damaged--no straying outside the lines. That paint must be an almost perfect match in color and sheen. I take a small paper bowl (no wax) and spray a little paint from my Rust-oleum cans. I mix and match, usually adding colors to gray to get the radio color. I make a quick test to see what the paint looks like dry, because paint is a different color dry than wet. Then I take my small artist brush and start to paint. If I get a ways into it and the color or sheen isn't quite right, I add some color to correct (or start fresh) and go over the first areas. That is why I say don't paint outside the lines. A properly touched up cabinet looks great. You still have the original paint, and because the touch-up is so close, it isn't easy to see. I have used this process for Collins S line front panels. Those require little dimples of paint added after the initial painting. These can be done as the touch-up paint starts to thicken in the bowl. A fine brush is used to create the small bumps. Always remember that paint shrinks when it dries and allow for that in your touch-up.

Norm

10. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had touch up jobs look really bad. What I mostly do know is a real good cleaning, waxing, and accept it for what it is..and have fun operating.

WD0BCT likes this.