Pearl Harbor Day QSO--Battleship USS Iowa BB-61

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N7BKV, Dec 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been chasing this CW contact for a while. Found success on 7.043 MHz this December 7 Pearl Harbor Day at 0035 hours (08 Dec UTC). Battleship USS Iowa is a museum ship at San Pedro harbor Los Angeles, California. She was launched in 1940 and served in WWII and Korea. Today she is one of the premier museum ships in the world and is also the National Museum of the Surface Navy . See http://biara.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/3-Iowa-Facts.pdf

Battleship Iowa Amateur Radio Association operates NI6BB from the original radio rooms aboard the USS IOWA. On special occasions the legacy battleship radio equipment is operated, however it takes a crew of four qualified persons to do so. Modern ham gear is commonly used for special events like such as Pearl Harbor Day.

Putting this QSO in my log book is special to me because Battleship USS Iowa BB-61 was the first shipboard assignment of my father-in-law, CWO3 Burton Pierce (ret). He served aboard her from 1950 to 1952 during the Korean War. He went on to a full Navy career, much of that as a Submariner.

He passed away a bit over a year ago at the age of 87. Pearl Harbor Day weekend last year, 2018, he was laid to rest in his native soil at San Joaquin Valley National Cemetery with full honors.

73 Burt.

dit dit

Iowaguns.jpg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    AJ6KZ, W5BIB and F8WBD like this.
  2. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations. I worked USS Hornet (CV 12) the other day. The op seemed surprised and pleased that I knew the first Hornet (CV 8) was the ship from which the Doolittle Raid was launched, and that it was sunk shortly afterward. He told me there is quite a bit of info about CV 8 in the ship's museum displays.

N7BKV likes this.
  3. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

That's cool! If you send them a few bucks you get a real nice QSL card and other stuff about the ship. (It's a donation to the club, not a fee for a card). I worked USS Hornet earlier this year on Museum Ships day. Been to it many times! Interesting stuff on board. Keep the history alive and tell some younger ops!

4. AA8NN

AA8NN Ham Member QRZ Page

They worked me on a pota activation the other day. I was set up on 14.043 calling cq with not much success they called, and explained that they were on the ship. Pretty awesome.

WB5YUZ and N7BKV like this.