PC interface for a Yaesu FT-897

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by KO4DBT, Sep 17, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. KO4DBT

KO4DBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Just acquired my first HF radio (FT-897) and am still trying to learn the ropes. Having some trouble determining exactly what I need for a good PC interface.

From my understanding that there are essentially 3 connections to make - (1) audio from rig to PC, (2) audio from PC to rig, and (3) unit control. It seems like (1) could be accomplished with a stereo cable connection from the rig's headphone jack to the PC's mic jack, (2) requires a connection from the PC's audio out to the rig's Data port, and (3) requires a USB to CAT cable.

Is there something I'm missing here? What is the advantage of a SignaLink or Rig Blaster in this configuration? Any other setup I should consider?

2. KG5RZ

KG5RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The signa-link type boxes provide isolation and level controls that you won’t get using a straight threw cable. Direct connection of the mic and speaker lows to the pc audio is asking for hum on the signal.

KO4DBT likes this.
  3. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You need the CT62 CAT cable for Rig control, uploading memories etc.

If you wish to run Digital modes you will also need the Data cable and a box like the Signalink - I used one on my FT897 for years.

Dont just hook audio and mic to the radio from the computer.