Paypal wants more information than previously

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by WA3LKN, Apr 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

All of the information required on that form is public information already available if 'they' want to "dig" for it. It is just easier (cheaper) to ask you for it. And it's a possible way of eliminating confusion. I had a cousin with the same name as mine except for a middle initial. I use that middle initial! But I wish I had a penny for every time people have gotten us confused. (I wonder how many Mike Tysons there are?) Legal names are exactly that. You may not like your name and use a contraction or nick-name, but that legal name is the only one binding.
    The biggy about any of this is that off I want any public information about you... I can get/buy it.

2. K3BR

K3BR Ham Member QRZ Page

What rational person would divulge their SSN to any one but the IRS? You don't even allow your doctor that info.

N4AAB likes this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess you don't have a bank account?

KS2G likes this.
  4. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

I had to give my SSN to the FCC to get my "ticket".

5. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

PayPal never asked for my SSN.

In earlier days, I had a PayPal "spoof" website link in email.

PayPal warned about it.

I did not use PayPal for awhile.

If this is authentic, I will quit PayPal.

..and I refuse to do business with anyone who will use the "excuse" their English is insufficient.

I am intolerant of any business running that scam.

I recently reported a business scam at eBay substituting a "gift" from Amazon, and ran "broken English" when I tried to straighten it out with them so I reported it, effectively, and that business suddenly "understood".

I knew what to do. Most people do not.

I do think English should be the "official" language.

..and I was told never give your SSN on the telephone.

I refuse to put my SSN online.

I suggest you do not really need whatever it is you wanted to purchase unless you are willing to send a USPS Money Order for example, and wait for the mail.

I have done electronic transfer of funds, bank to bank, for international purchase. I would do it again, if I have to.

..or do without.

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Bank, credit card company, any loan application, credit reporting agency, employer, etc. Like it or not, your SSN is a de facto national ID number.

KS2G likes this.
  7. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

..at least the security and protocols in place for banks, etal. are better than online.

..that is, if you do not do those things online.

8. WA3LKN

WA3LKN Ham Member QRZ Page

This explains paypal's new policy regarding social security numbers better than I could. It's from:

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2018/3/1521773297.html

PayPal is changing its User Agreement, including a provision in which non-verified accounts will be unable to use their balance to make purchases.

PayPal is updating its User Agreement for US users effective April 19, 2018, and one of the changes in how it handles identity verification has a reader concerned. In its March announcement, PayPal explained the change:

We're changing the balance functionality for your PayPal account depending on whether we have been able to verify identifying information that you provide to us.
    - If we have not verified your identifying information, a balance in your PayPal account can generally only be held in your PayPal account and transferred to a linked bank account or debit card.
    - If we have verified your identifying information, a balance in your PayPal account can be held in your PayPal account, transferred to a linked bank account or debit card, used to make purchases or send money to others.
    Restrictions and limitations on such accounts may be lifted upon validation of the user's identity by PayPal.

The reader was concerned that PayPal accounts would lose a great part of their value to users whose identities PayPal failed to verify as a result of the change. In addition, if it impacted a great many US users, it could impact merchants inside and outside of the US, since users whose identities are not verified would be unable to make purchases with their PayPal funds.

He explained his concerns: "Without being "verified" - PP's account balance cannot be used for anything else, except "only be held in your PayPal account and transferred to a linked bank account or debit card. Cannot be used to make purchases or send money to others, cannot be used to through the marketplaces (e.g. eBay, Etsy and others), cannot be used to pay through big-box merchants (who accept PP), neither small/micro merchants through their site, neither cannot do "subscriptions" or pay bills."

The earned PayPal balance for payments received for sold items is becoming worthless and useless, both commercial and for payments from family and friends, he said.

We asked PayPal's spokesperson what must be "verified" and why. She replied, "We will ask users for first name, last name, DOB (date of birth), physical address, and last four of SSN (or tax ID for businesses). We are collecting this information as part of our regulatory obligations."

Does every US PayPal user have to submit documentation outlined in the PayPal help pages (such as this page), and how many users will be impacted?

"US customers using a balance to complete a P2P transaction or a purchase are required to submit the information," the spokesperson told us.

"We're updating the User Agreement to clarify that PayPal may make changes to a customer's account's balance functionality based on whether we have been able to verify identifying information they provided to us. We're implementing these changes to comply with regulations that require that we obtain verifying information for customers that use PayPal balances to send money or make purchases.
    "The changes impact customers that hold balances in their PayPal account. We don't release those numbers. These changes will not impact all users, but only U.S. users who wish to send money to third parties or make purchases using PayPal balance."

It's possible a great many users are already verified. We asked PayPal how users could check to see if they meet the verification requirements. She responded, "Customer who do not meet the verification requirements will be notified by PayPal and we will work further with the user to verify their identity."

This may impact casual sellers more than business sellers, since individuals may be more leery of having to provide social security numbers and documentation to PayPal. (They'll be able to withdraw their funds, but it would mean they wouldn't be using balances to make online purchases.)

Is PayPal identity verification an issue that should concern sellers? Either way, be aware that if your account is not verified, you won't be able to use your balance to make purchases.

Thanks to the reader who raised this concern, it will be interesting to hear what other sellers think about the policy change.

KP4SX likes this.
  9. KD8ZWI

KD8ZWI Ham Member QRZ Page

if they didn’t ask for this information you could use PayPal to clean dirty money. For instance... People buy drugs from you at $1000 per transaction. You leave the money on PayPal - and use it to purchase stuff. Of course the IRS and government want to know about it. *sigh*. If the never tied your PII to the PayPal slush fund - there would be no valid way to track/report this activity.

10. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

If paypal walks and quacks like a bank, the Bank Secrecy Act applies.
    Part of BSA is "know your depositor".
    If account activity triggers mandatory reporting, paypal includes the info about you on the report.

They say it's to combat terrorism and drug trafficking. I suspect prepaid VISA (what scammers use
    to move money) is how a lot of those funds are moved these days. In the meantime private
    money lending (I need $50k for two weeks, I'll pay you back $55k, hold my Ferrari title) has become
    a real pain in the ass.