Paypal Ripoff

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KM4BDH, Aug 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WA3LKN

WA3LKN Ham Member QRZ Page

You can transfer any money in your paypal account to your linked checking account electronically at no cost and it takes like one day. Make the balance = $Zero. Then anything you buy gets paid for on your back-up personal credit card.

Since paypal wanted more personal information than I wanted to give them, like my SS# that I refused to do, this is the default.

See this thread:

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/paypal-wants-more-information-than-previously.655391/

And it sure sounds like you have some malware.

W4KJG likes this.
  2. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you. The link to the thread you provided is very disturbing.

I've been away from home for the last several days. I just have an Android tablet and Android phone with me. The other night I placed the subject eBay order, to be paid through my PayPal account, with my Android tablet. I feel I'm on a secure Internet connection, since I'm at my vacation home using a big-name TV/Internet provider. I won't have access to a trusted computer for the next couple of days. The security software on my tablet and phone are up-to-date. Nothing more serious than some adware and a few cookies have shown up in recent scans.

After reading through that linked QRZ thread certainly has me concerned. I don't know what to think. I've ordered and sold a number of things using eBay and PayPal. I'm now wondering if I have to totally give up on both.

I'd hate to give up eBay and PayPal. I don't know where else I would find some of the things like I've purchased over the last 15-20 years.

I won't receive my latest order until next week, so I won't know if they meet specifications until then. But I've been pretty fortunate in getting good parts, including reclaimed parts, through this process. This order was for five 50 Ohm/150 Watt RF termination resistors. With tax and shipping the total was about $7 from Rochester, NY. I need four of these resistors. The price for equivalent parts, from either of the two big electronics parts suppliers I rely on for quality service, is about $12 each. I've always been willing to take a chance on such items.

My preference is to use Amazon for parts like this. I only buy from eBay suppliers with several thousand positive responses, and who are located in the US.

KM4BDH likes this.
  3. KM4BDH

KM4BDH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have really good antivirus software that has Trojan and malware protection, and deep scan my pc once a week. I also use ubuntu. This has happened to me the last 3-4 times i used paypal for creditcard purchases. I"m using venmo from now on.

4. KM4BDH

KM4BDH Ham Member QRZ Page

no everything goes through without a hitch.

5. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I get those emails all the time. I NEVER click on one cause they are always fake and wanting your log in info

KM4BDH likes this.