ad: AlphaRF-1

Paypal Ripoff

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KM4BDH, Aug 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM4BDH

KM4BDH Ham Member QRZ Page

Be aware of pay-pal payment as every time i use pay-pal a day or so later i get an additional charge of 900.00 to 1,000.00 fraudulently. luckily this time i used my Discover Card and the fraud protection stopped the transaction.
    I used the card to purchase a "nonworking 2M radio" and 3 days later i get a charge to Airbnb for 946.xx.

Always use a credit card with pay-pal, as i believe someone in their system is defrauding the public. I dont believe the seller was responsible for this charge.

KE4ZFR likes this.
  2. KS4W

KS4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Every time? How many times has this happened? Have you complained to PayPal about this?

KA2FIR and KJ4VTH like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Sounds to me like your computer has been infected with some sort of worm.

NEVER heard of that happening - I've used Paypal thousands of times, since it very first began. Never once had anything approaching this.

My advice: do a really deep scan with really good anti-virus/trojan/worm detection and elimination.

Dave
    W7UUU

KA2FIR, N6HCM, KA0HCP and 4 others like this.
  4. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess I'm going to give up on eBay and PayPal. I ordered a batch of five 50 ohm 150 watt RF resistors last night. The total was about $8. I planned to pay for them from about $25 in my PayPal wallet from a sale of some ham STUFF several months ago.

As far as I can tell, my only option to use the money in my PayPal Wallet account was to sign up for a PayPal Visa card. My PayPal wallet funds would then be transferred to this new Visa card.

I didn't sign up for the new PayPal Visa card. I paid via the credit card on file with my PayPal account. I plan to abandon my PayPal account after I receive my resistors.

I'm just not sure how I close it out. It has my bank checking account number and one of my credit card numbers.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you by any chance, Get a email that said "Help us make your paypal account more secure" ? Or something like that.

The email looks legit like it is from Paypal, But it is to get your account information.

Beware of that scam. It is not just for Paypal, It could be for your bank information also.

I get scams like that from (Fake) banks that I have no account at.

KA2FIR, KE4ZFR and WB4IVF like this.
  6. WB4IVF

WB4IVF Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree that it is unlikely that someone within PP has compromised your account. Much more likely that your computer has been infected or that you gave out information in response to bogus emails, etc. In addition to the good advice above, make sure your computer is, and stays, up-to-date with security patches, and change your PP password making sure it's very strong.

KA2FIR and KA0HCP like this.
  7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have $2.5 million waiting for me in Nigeria.:)

KA2FIR, K8MH and WA7PRC like this.
  8. WB4IVF

WB4IVF Ham Member QRZ Page

Me too, wow isn't that a coincidence?

9. KC2XU

KC2XU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Best report it... only online problem I’ve had so far was someone inside at Groupon was hitting up accounts randomly. She put 950$ travel on my card. Reported to both Groupon and my bank, got a neat thank you/apology letter from them as the caught her. I got my 950 back.

KA2FIR likes this.
  10. N9CM

N9CM Ham Member QRZ Page

Along with a good case of Aids....hope you never go there Steve-O.