PayPal only, eh?

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KE0EP, Sep 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

ANYONE who buys and sells on the internet between individuals is A L W A Y S at some sort of risk... BOTH SIDES - buyer and seller.

Just the way it is.

Ain't gonna change for the better - most likely for the worse.

Dave
    W7UUU

N2TLR likes this.
  2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In hindsight, my post was a bit brusk; I was pressed for time and didn't phrase it very well, and on the internet things can sound harsh. I didn't mean it as a personal criticism.

I appreciate that you are discussing scams and attempting to warn people here about them. In fact I do the same myself on occasion, contrary to what you assumed above.

Please realize that it's time consuming and frustrating for your readers to scratch their heads trying to understand a post missing critical information, especially with regard to something important like a fraud warning, where details obviously matter a great deal. (And I wasn't the only one who was mystified by your post).

So it would be helpful if your future posts on the topic include as much information as possible, and if you have it, a link or a description leading to any relevant references or history that one could look at.

K8MH, K2CD, AJ4GQ and 2 others like this.
  3. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm glad you do! And I'm happy that you are trying to help your fellow hams.

The fact is that the way you went about it was more confusing to others than it was helpful.

Look at the other posts and tell me that others were not confused.

Elan, you started off by re-posting something from another website from a year ago with NO other information.

What did you expect?

Yes, you SHOULD have disclosed the source and let everyone know the full story. That's just common sense.

It wasn't until a post or three later that readers, myself included, began to get the whole story.

You seemed to be blaming paypal exclusively.

Doesn't it seem to you that UPS was at least as culpable as paypal? Why aren't you blaming them too?

That's actually the bigger part of this story. We all know that paypal has a downside, that's been rehashed over and over, but how about that UPS driver handing over a package to a guy sitting on the front porch of an abandoned house?

Keep trying to help. Don't let me dissuade you from that.

Next time perhaps consider putting in the whole story so others don't have to pry it out of you.

If you're going to report something, consider putting in the basics:

WHO

WHAT

WHEN

WHERE

WHY

It would be much more helpful to others.

That's all, pretty simple CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. I'm sorry if that pizzes you off, but that's the way I see it.

K2EJ, W7UUU, KS4W and 3 others like this.
  4. W5HEX

W5HEX Ham Member QRZ Page

Same here. I dont want to use them anymore either. Burned once...that was enough.

5. KE0DZW

KE0DZW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use paypal a lot, have for many years and have never had an issue. I will never do Friends and Family though.

6. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Why? What rule or policy did they violate?

UPS have a package to delivery to an address.
    They get to that address and someone is there ready to receive it.
    What is the driver supposed to do?

I'd be upset if it happened to me but I don't really see what practical criteria UPS could apply here in deciding whether to hand over the package or not. Do they have a list of officially abandoned houses? Maybe someone is genuinely working on an "abandoned" house. Are they expected to make a determination based on what the recipient looks like?

7. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What's he to do? Find the CORRECT address!

8. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

If that's true then, as far as UPS is concerned, it was the correct address.

9. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems I missed the earlier background. Sri.

10. K3MA

K3MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And now Paypal is going to keep the fees even if you refund the money.