PayPal only, eh?

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KE0EP, Sep 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey guys, this went down almost a year ago in 2018. Old news... just sayin'

N0TZU likes this.
  2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

@K4MT was the seller. Of course he should not have allowed F&F, but then, neither could the BUYER have gotten his money refunded, right?

Seems that the guy had the radio shipped to an abandoned house and was watching tracking on it. He was camped out on the front porch of said house to receive delivery.

Too bad Gary didn't 'out' the individual back then. I bet he's pulled this more than once.

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry, you are the one not paying attention. PayPal was split from eBay four (4) years ago. Ahem.

"It was announced on September 30, 2014, that eBay would spin off PayPal into a separate publicly traded company, a move demanded in 2013 by activist hedge fund magnate Carl Icahn. The spin-off was completed on July 18, 2015.

AG5DB and KJ4VTH like this.
  4. NZ4X

NZ4X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought this happened like today since it was posted today. Oh well.

N1VAU likes this.
  5. KE0EP

KE0EP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes. I stand corrected.

6. KE0EP

What? Less than a year is "old news?" Not to me!

7. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

The details are still relevant though.

On a hunch, and because I'm curious, I wanted to see where that was lifted from and googled the quoted text. Found it over on QTH.com. I prefer to have the whole story, not just the first post from that old thread.

It was interesting to learn that the UPS driver allegedly admitted to handing over the package to a guy sitting on the porch of an abandoned house. So much for UPS, eh?

I'd call UPS to the carpet in this one too.

Not an M.O. that the scammers are currently using, but the info is still good to have!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

{actually almost exactly a year}

You live in the past?

A lot can happen in a year.

Just as you should have mentioned in your first post that you copied and pasted from another site, you should have also provided the source of that copy/paste, and the date.

If you're a budding 'reporter', you should play by real reporters rules, ya think?

Wahhhh, I had to google it to find it! ;)
    (yeah, I know, you don't care)

AG5DB likes this.
  9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok, so there is a LOT more to this story than what was in the original post, and it's old to boot. Waste of time, outta here...

NZ4X likes this.
  10. KE0EP

Love it. I post information in the hopes that other hams won't get ripped off like I (and many others) have by other hams online and some of you feel the need to waste MY time by posting ridiculous things like this in the thread or:

"You live in the past?"

12 months ago is so very far in "the past!" The actual time of the event is irrelevant. Do you not get the point of why I posted this information? Folks are not necessarily safe using PayPal--it's misleading to imply they are. Has that changed in the last 360 days? The truth is that folks are getting ripped off regardless of payment method, I'd like to see it stop. If it doesn't, amateur buy/sell sites like QRZ will ultimately cease to exist.

"A lot can happen in a year."

What's the point? There's less scamming via online ham gear buy/sell websites now than there was 12 months ago? Wrong. It's getting worse and the only protection ANYONE has is through exposure, in part, by reading posts and learning what happens to other victims. If you have a better idea, let's hear it. Criticizing me for not doing what you want is not going to help "Joe Ham" get several grand back from PayPal after his rig is stolen.

"Just as you should have mentioned in your first post that you copied and pasted from another site, you should have also provided the source of that copy/paste, and the date."

I "should have?" Excuse me? I have an idea, I'll decided for myself what I should and shouldn't do. You should do the same. :)

"If you're a budding 'reporter', you should play by real reporters rules, ya think?"

Well, I'm not a budding reporter. Just a ham who uses these websites and got ripped off a couple of times--same as quite a bunch of other victims. My focus is assisting fellow hams in avoiding being robbed by posting information that may help them realize the risk they're taking before it's too late. I'm not interested in "real reporters rules," nor am I a perfect human being--I make mistakes--perhaps you don't?

Why are some of you so dismissive, uncomfortable and confrontational when this subject is discussed?

Hiding something? Got something to lose? Sore point? Nothing better to do?

You should try focusing more energy on helping people who get hurt and less on trying to knock folks down in threads like this, ya think?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019