PayPal only, eh?

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KE0EP, Sep 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KE0EP

KE0EP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Sold a radio to a guy and received paypal payment. He received radio and sent me a message telling me how well it worked. He then went to Paypal and claimed someone hacked his account and someone else sent me the money and not him. Without even an email from Paypal to say there was a problem they refunded his money and when I called them they said it was an unauthorized payment. Now no answer on his phone or replies to emails. Paypal says there is nothing I can do.

No more Paypal for me

Gary K4MT"

2. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

The Internet is a dangerous place.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

3. WW1SS

WW1SS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That is why I refuse to use Paypal. They get radio for free. I lost $1200.00 the same way

4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m not following this.

Is it that he claimed to PayPal that his account was hacked and he didn’t send the money, but yet he had the radio which makes no sense...Or is it that he claimed he didn’t buy the radio at all because someone else hacked his account and spent his money to buy it, which was shipped to the hacker innocently by you?

In either case, why would it be your responsibility to eat the refund? You as a seller can’t be responsible for a hack of a buyers PayPal account.

5. YO3GFH

YO3GFH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What a bummer ..
    I wonder.. If he has the radio, it means he somehow signed for it, right? Maybe if you can get proof of his signature, you can open a case with paypal.
    The emails he sent telling you how nice the radio was could also help, especially if they were sent from his paypal address.
    This is only hoping.. good luck !

6. KE0EP

KE0EP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I re-posted K4MT's experience from another forum. He sold a radio using PayPal and although the buyer told K4MT the radio was OK, PayPal was told by the buyer that he never purchased the rig due to an account hack. PayPal refunded the buyers payment without even notifying K4MT, then essentially told him to lick his wounds and move on when he contacted them.

Anyone who doesn't know PayPal is the same slimy company as eBay is not paying attention.

Why on earth would any seller risk using PayPal?

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like Friends and Family.

NN4RH and WR2E like this.
  8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

That helps... I thought YOU got scammed again on first read.
    Would be an incredible streak of bad luck had it been so!

Did you notify MT that you were cross-posting to another forum? :p

(I doubt he would mind, but ya never know unless you ask!)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  9. NZ4X

NZ4X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

@K4MT needs to come on here and give us some more details. If PayPal was used was it Friends and Family? If so PayPal is in the right with this. There is nothing they can do. The
    post itself is somewhat confusing. Why would the buyer send the seller a positive email about the radio if he planned on scamming him?

N1VAU likes this.
  10. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Cruel streak in addition to being a dishonest scumbag?

ND6M likes this.