PayPal Fee Up-Charging is Prohibited on QRZ

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by AA7BQ, Jun 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

You have to start by understanding their business model and where these "fees" come from exactly does matter and here's why.

The objective is to offer buyers the paypal service as a convenient way make purchases for thier online transactions. The primary emphasis here is to encourage buyers to spend money using paypal. So, if sellers are passing along their user fees to the buyer, then this discourages buyers from making online purchases using the paypal service when spending their money.

Basically, it goes like this... If there's an incentive for buyers to make the online purchase using paypal then they will.... If there's any kind of penalty involved for buyers when making their online purchases using paypal then they wont. ...Get it?

The introduction of a penalty or "discouragement," in the form of an "extra fee" when buyers are making online purchases through paypal is viewed as something that would negatively affect overall profits and obviously paypal doesn't want that scenario to occur.

That's the reasoning for their policy and I hope that answers your question.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  2. KS9Q

KS9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

This is essentially what I said in a post about 195 pages back... it isn't about whether the seller factors in PP fees to the selling price, it's about whether it appears to the buyer that PP is going to cost more. It's about perception and negative perception is a disincentive to use the service. Unless something has changed, PP doesn't give the east end of a westbound rat if you factor in a couple of percent to your selling price in order to arrive at the price you want to ultimately get for the item. If the buyer is okay with that price, all is right with the world. It is when you say, "PayPal users please add 3%", that you are in conflict with the PP agreement.

Jim K - KS9Q

WB0MPB, K3XR and KC8VWM like this.
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

No guarantee it will help some folks but let's try it this way. If you check the price for a piece of ham gear here or any other site for the past 30-90 days would you expect each item went for the exact same price?

If in the last 30 days you checked the price on every IDENTICAL new Ford vehicle sold in your state or in the country would they all have sold for the same price don't think so there are a number of variables that factor into the price maybe a dealer is remodeling the dealership and factors in a few dollars for that purpose in the selling price.

It's already been mentioned the seller sets the price based on the factors they find relevant it's the buyers choice to purchase the item or not unless the price shows up-charging or a discount for PayPal there is no violation of the QRZ policy.

4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

OK it's all clear now.

It's only a QRZ policy because it's a pp policy though, that part we've understood all along.

I also think that pp intends the policy for online retailers but there's no way for them to differentiate between private sales and 'for profit' enterprises. What's good for the goose is good for the gander so to speak.

In the end though, it's still marketing BS, and as long as we can build an extra couple bucks into our selling price we can work around the policy anyway.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Paypal is just another Tax.

Pay the tax and get over crying about it.

Not using Paypal is also a option that works. Or can something work if you do not use it ? o_O

6. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My last hopefully short reply. I never have said PayPal buyers add 3 percent. I also am not a used equipment sales expert. I guess at what a used wigget might be worth. I might be making money to cover the PayPal fees. I might be losing money. I don't know. If my wigget I guessed to be worth $100.00 but it was really only worth $90.00 then I made money to cover fees. I didn't do it on purpose I just guessed wrong on the price. If I can be thrown into a hard labor camp for guessing the price wrong and made money to cover the fees then I guess I will have to go labor.
    If my wigget is really worth $150.00 then I didn't cover the fees and lost money.

So if you can take me to court for guessing a price wrong then cuff me. Selling used is always a guess. Really any wigget is worth what a buyer is willing to pay.

So I have never demanded more from someone using PayPal and never will. I have sold a lot of used stuff.

I am sure according to VWM I am still violating the rules. Oh well I can sleep at night just fine and feel no guilt at all.

End of "As The PayPal Up Charge Turns." I turn the case over to my lawyer.

John, WB0MPB

7. KS9Q

KS9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

To the seller, a unit is worth what he/she is willing to accept for it. To the buyer, a unit is worth what he/she is willing to pay for it. When the two figures coincide, the sale can happen. PayPal fees, shipping costs, overhead, gas money to go pick the thing up, title, license, dealer prep, rebates and a cold Mountain Dew, all are baked into the same pie.

Jim K. - KS9Q

KC8VWM likes this.
  8. KC8VWM

That's where you are incorrect kind sir.

Keep in mind pointing out what constitutes a rules violation, is not the same thing as accusing someone of a rules violation.

9. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So I have said how I sell. Am I violating the rules? Do I need to change?
    John, WB0MPB

10. KC8VWM

Answer the following questions:

A) Are you asking people to pay you a sale price for the item, PLUS a Paypal surcharge in your listings?

B) Are you NOT asking people to pay you a sale price for the item, PLUS a Paypal surcharge in your listings?

...Which category do you fall under?

Choose A or B

A = Yes it is a rules violation.
    B= No it is not a rules violation.

Again, this information is not intended to pass judgement on your selling activities one way or the other. It is strictly intended as information for the purpose of answering your question.

11. QRZ
    Important Rules
    Have you read the Swapmeet Rules?

This forum enforces a set of buying/selling rules for the benefit of all users. Make sure that you're familiar with the rules before posting or replying in this area. Got questons? Contact our moderation team here...

All Sellers Must Be Verified As of July 1, 2019, only Verified Users are permitted to post in this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.