PayPal Fee Up-Charging is Prohibited on QRZ

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by AA7BQ, Jun 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Notice to all sellers. The practice of offering items for sale with an extra fee charged if the buyer uses PayPal is PROHIBITED at QRZ.

If you are concerned about PayPal fees then you must build them into your prices. If you do not wish to accept PayPal payments, you may state this in your ad.

In addition, the practice of soliciting "Gift Payments" via PayPal as a method of fee avoidance is also prohibited. Also note that when PayPal's Gift Payments are used, all buyer protections, etc., are forfeited. PayPal will not be your advocate in the event of a problem if the transfer was made using a Gift Payment.

Note that it is permissible to state in your ad that you will offer a discount for a CASH transaction, however, you may not mention PayPal in this context. You are free to state that you will either accept or refuse PayPal, but you may not advertise a price differential or extra fee when PayPal is used.

QRZ has been a trusted PayPal merchant for the past 15+ years. You will note that none of our prices of our products or services makes any distinction as to the method of payment. Whether you pay by check, cash, credit card, or PayPal, our prices are all the same.

It is the opinion of QRZ that PayPal offers a valuable and convenient service that is worth the amount of money they charge, which typically ranges from between 3 and 3.5 percent.

Finally, you should also consider that by posting your For Sale item on QRZ, you are reaching the world's largest and most active community of hams on the internet, AND, that QRZ charges absolutely nothing in return. As a seller, you simply can't find a better deal than that, regardless of whether PayPal was used.

Our Moderators have been instructed to remove any listings that violate this rule.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2016
    K5MTY, WA4EQQ, VA7RAK and 5 others like this.
  2. KD2FUJ

KD2FUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Great to hear - makes excellent sense. Thank you.

K7SWT, W0ZZG and N8ZBA like this.
  3. N4QWK

N4QWK Ham Member QRZ Page

PayPal is anti-gun, so it’s best to not accept PayPal at all!

N3FI, N8ZI, N9KUD and 5 others like this.
  4. K0MW

K0MW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm confused... When buying an item from another ham, why does QRZ care if I charge more for paypal?

AD4GC, WB5THT, AF4K and 2 others like this.
  5. K8OI

K8OI QRZ Lifetime Member #60 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Take a look at the PayPal User Agreement, dated May 1, 2015 (or go to PayPal, click "Legal" on the bottom of the page and then select the "PayPal User Agreement" link) - You know, the legalese that we all acknowledge and never read ;)

Section 4.1 & 4.6
    4.1 Receiving Personal Payments
    . If you are selling goods or services, you may not ask the buyer to send you a Personal Payment for the purchase. If you do so, PayPal may remove your ability to accept Personal Payments.

4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

Sounds like QRZ is simply helping it's members abide by the PayPal User Agreement language; I'd argue any philosophical disagreement with PayPal directly (good luck!)...

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    K2HAT, W0ZZG and W7GST like this.
  6. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Also maybe Paypal takes it out on QRZ if one of us violates PayPal's terms in QRZ's name.

7. N6CAZ

N6CAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I for one applaud QRZ for making this clearly known for all. I have listed items here and while I don't personally care for PayPal's policy of taking a percentage rather than a fixed transaction fee, I do appreciate the convenience and protection of what they offer. It also aids in shipping, speed of the transaction, and cuts down on fraud. I stopped dealing with PayPal's soon-to-be-ex partner auction site because the fees have become too great, and all of the burden (including when dealing with dishonest buyers) is on the seller now. I also felt it was sort of double-dipping in that they were partner companies, but both charged fees AND include the shipping charges in their calculations. It makes selling items under $100 or so kind of pointless.

In past listings here I have been contacted by friendly observers when I tried to add that 3-4% to my asking price. When you think about it their policy protects their brand and if YOU were offering that service it would be common sense to not want your service to be associated with fees. Personally I feel the "convenience fee" should be the buyers' responsibility at least in part, but Maybe offering cash discounts/free local pickup are the best ways to handle this. Of course no one says you HAVE to accept PayPal in the first place if you don't agree with their terms. If you don't agree with their politics, you still have the right to not use their services.

W6FG, W0ZZG and W7GST like this.
  8. KC9ZHR

KC9ZHR Ham Member QRZ Page

As a buyer I always feel MUCH better using paypal and I really avoid buying used electronics online without it......I think it is worth the money and I dont mind paying more to have it (provided its properly built into the price as per qrz & paypal terms etc).

N8UMW, K8VF and KE0EYH like this.
  9. K7IN

K7IN Ham Member QRZ Page

Since QRZ is a long-time PayPal merchant, there's no way they are going to jeopardize that good-faith relationship by allowing violations to PayPal's rules. And, if push were to come to shove, PayPal *could* pull QRZ's account for allowing violations to take place on their site.

If you want $100.00 for something and don't want to absorb the $3.30 fee for PayPal then, list your ad for $105.00. The buyer indirectly pays the fee anyway and you get your $100.00 for your merchandise.

Every time you use ANY credit card for a purchase, on-line or in a store, it costs the merchant a fee, most of the time about 3.3% to process that payment. PayPal is no different because they are processing MasterCard, VISA, American Express and possible Discover credit cards and are simply facilitating that transaction between private parties who are not set up to process sales personally.

So, forget about that measly 3.3% and do your business. QRZ has been great over the years and highly respected for their honesty and integrity. I have great respect for PayPal and the service that has opened up lots of business for non-business people and potential customers to make their transactions safe and secure. And, that's not to say it is probably the most convenient way to buy on-line since the only thing you need is a valid credit card for a PayPal account.

If you have to 'cheat' the system for 3.3% you have much bigger problems to deal with and probably shouldn't be buying or selling here.

W6FG, EI3CTB, WB0MPB and 3 others like this.
  10. WA4ZYN

WA4ZYN Ham Member QRZ Page

Just putting a word in here for the concepts of "integrity" and "legality."

Francis WA4ZYN

11. QRZ
    Important Rules
    Have you read the Swapmeet Rules?

This forum enforces a set of buying/selling rules for the benefit of all users. Make sure that you're familiar with the rules before posting or replying in this area. Got questons? Contact our moderation team here...

All Sellers Must Be Verified As of July 1, 2019, only Verified Users are permitted to post in this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.