PayPal and eBay can and will scam you!

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by K8CIX, May 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
  1. K8CIX

K8CIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I am sorry but I cannot excuse eBay or PayPal for the weakness, known to exist in the "Buyer Protection Program" it has been
    there for years and not corrected. And as far as eBay and PayPal the victims. eBay is the entity that allowed a refund without
    any notice (until after the fact), input, evidence or authorization from me. PayPal is the entity that will either debit you bank
    account for the refund or turn you over to a credit collection if you refuse to comply. Victims, I think not!

2. K8CIX

K8CIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I am 78 years old, so I have nothing to do all day but write letters and try to correct actions against me.
    I have contacted the Plymouth Police Dept., I did file an FTC Complaint. I am trying to see if any part
    of this meets the criteria of the Postal Service. I had not thought of the BBB. Thanks for the reminder.

KG5THG likes this.
  3. NY8T

NY8T Ham Member QRZ Page

Be very careful with ebay selling something with NO RETURNS. I bought a drone that was not as described, wrong model, not worth as much as the pictures/text indicated. It was a no returns.
    Seller offered to compensate me about half what the difference was worth, I declined. They declined to send to a pre-paid shipping label so I could return it. This went on for weeks. Finally I pressured ebay to refund my $200
    and they did, and then told me, you dont need to return the drone because they didnt provide a label to you. I felt bad, then gave the drone away to another person. I dont agree with the policy, but, lesson learned is, dont sell on ebay with a no returns policy unless you cant afford to give the item away. Still not sure why the person didnt send a $15 shipping label ??? Some learn the hard way I guess.

4. W0XX

W0XX Ham Member QRZ Page

Same here, screwed by PP and Escam as a Seller and Buyer...never once looked at my documentation and information...like to know what lies were told I did not hear about on the other end...

5. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Try calling eBay and appealing. Don't lose your temper with them. They can reverse their action....and should because it didn't comply with their own terms.

6. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I get flamed every time I say it, but it bears repeating:

I will NEVER sell using Paypal. This thread is why. I too have been burned.

I will NEVER buy without using Paypal, so that I as buyer have protection.

I protect my interests, always.

Dave
    W7UUU

N8VIL, N3AB, K6CLS and 1 other person like this.
  7. WX7P

WX7P Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a few rules I follow when dealing with ANYONE using PayPal or not.

If they are impatient, I refund their money (see below)
    If they ask a lot of picky condition questions on mundane items, I won't sell to them. You KNOW they'll find something wrong with the item no matter how perfect. "Condition Queens" are a no go for me.
    If they lowball, no sale.
    If they ask "what's the least you'll take", no sale. I don't negotiate with myself.
    If they ask for a (low) price because it's for a kid, no sale. I've burned on that in the past.

I recently had a guy here on the zed buy something on a Sunday and file a PayPal non-performance complaint early Monday morning. In addition, he posted a 'beware of seller' note in my for sale post. My sin? I didn't respond to his PayPal payment on Sunday night. The zed did delete his comments

As soon as I saw the PayPal notice in my email at 6:30 AM PST Monday morning, I instantly refunded the guy his money. No way would I ship something to him as he would undoubtedly find something wrong with the item. His call was W2 something with his initials in a state in the 10th district.

N3AB likes this.
  8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I buy from Amazon when I can.

Amazon protects a buyer without Paypal involved. Even for warranty Repair / Replace.

If I sell, A personal check works for me.

I would rather give than sell.

9. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I should have clarified: I meant I will never buy not using Paypal on QRZ, eHam, eBay, etc.

Of course Amazon is different. I've never had a problem with them for any reason.

Dave
    W7UUU

KL1T likes this.
  10. W2WDX

W2WDX Ham Member QRZ Page

I love misinformation by people listening to other consumers or people going off half-cocked uninformed. PayPal ceased being a subsidiary of eBay back in 2014. They are now two separate unrelated companies. eBay also just announced in February that PayPal will no longer be its preferred method of payment and is transitioning to instead use the Dutch firm Adyen.

What happened to you was a chargeback initiated by the buyers credit card bank. A customer can request a chargeback through his credit card making any claim he wants. If the transaction is made through a money broker (which PayPal is) the seller in this case is not involved in the process at all. The transaction itself actually occurred between the CC bank and PayPal, not you. So the fight is between them. If the credit card bank decides to make its customer happy and issue a chargeback, the bank takes back the money from PayPal. PayPal receives over 450 million dollar per year in chargebacks annually. It's the new scam by buyers; buy something on eBay pay by credit card and do a chargeback. Your credit card will give you refund and you get to keep the stuff. eBay and PayPal have zero control on how credit card banks satisfy its customers. They have no choice but to pass this scam onto you (or end up bankrupt). The problem is credit card banks, not eBay or PayPal.

I tried this once. I bought something from myself, called my credit card company and said I was "dissatisfied" with my purchase. They issued a chargeback and PayPal took the money out my account. All I said to Mastercard was "dissatisfied". Neither myself or I were asked about the transaction or any details. After about 90 days I got my refund on my card and the money removed from my PayPal account. I got a refund from myself and had no input on either side. My bank just wanted to make me happy. It was their policy.

If the refund was issued through either eBay's or PayPal's "Buyer Protection" policies, you would have been notified (both by email and their messaging systems) and would have had a chance to counter the claim over a 90 day period. That is the ONLY way a person can get a refund through eBay or PayPal. On a bank Credit Card chargeback you find out only after the money comes out of you PayPal account because it's automatic.

The bank is the only party who makes the final decision, regardless how much PayPay may fight the claim. Remember, they lose their fees as well so they do fight chargebacks. (Same thing happens to regular retailers BTW). This is the case with anybody who uses a credit card to buy from you. It doesn't matter who handles the transaction, any credit card purchase can be made into a chargeback. If you have an issue with this fact of life, talk to your Congressman, since it is they who freed up the banks to do such things by deregulation back in 2005.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    KP4SX likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.