ad: UR5CDX-1

PayPal and chargebacks and K4TFY

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by WB6VYH, Oct 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KW7RF

KW7RF Ham Member QRZ Page

You're best bet to sell ham equipment is here on QRZ. With Ebay there are fees involved and more chances of horror stories. Paypal and Ebay protects the buyer and never the seller. Good Luck.

2. KW7RF

Michael, paypal cannot go in your bank account but they can put your paypal balance in default (negative balance) and you will not be able to use your paypal until you make a deposit. Paypal will always win. You don't have a chance. They control you and your money.

3. KC0VEU

KC0VEU Guest

Paypal is a gamble on human ethic

Hello,
    I sold a box for $450.00 . Once the money arrived in my account I shipped the box. After UPS had it in shipment the buyer pulled the money back and
    put my account into a negative balance when I was on interstate travel using the money for gas. ---Quite scary.

The problem was resolved after many emails contacting the buyer and paypal. Paypal was of no help. Thankfully the buyer coughed up the money after
    I mentioned that I would be traveling to the ship to address with a local sheriff.

I also had a buyer purchase a pinball machine. Paid through paypal and then "pulled" the money back out of the account after he changed his mind to pick it up.

This cost me quite a bit of time and money.

I have not sold items of great value with paypal anymore.
    -Robert

4. KW7RF

in other words time "Time to start boycotting Paypal"

5. AD6KA

AD6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm so sorry this happened to the seller.
    What's wrong with people these days? Sheesh!

Anyway, my addition to the topic:
    Folks are giving good advice when they say
    "Call the Sheriff in his area, call the DA in his area,Postal Inspectors, etc".

Well, from my experience it is much better to WRITE
    to these law enforcement officials,
    and include copies of as as much
    documentation of the fraudulent transaction as you can.

Include printed out emails, shipping receipts, everything from Pay Pal,
    typed out recollections of phone calls as best your memory will allow, etc

I would also send this packet via some sort of accountable shipping
    method: Registered Mail, Certified Mail, Overnight, etc.
    Makes it much harder to ignore. It is very easy for an official to forget a phone call or delete an email. They are not bad, they are just busy.

And though the crook lives in another state, you should go down
    to YOUR police station IN PERSON and file a fraud complaint there.

Why?
    Because this starts a Case Number going right away, and if you include
    your local LE's Fraud Case Number in the "Fraud Info Packet" you
    are sending off to other LE agencies, they are more likely to respond.

In the first scenario (you file a fraud complaint from out of state by phone.)
    THEY have to start the paperwork and assign a case number, detective, etc.

In the second scenario (You have already filed a fraud case in your area)
    they are being asked to follow up on an ALREADY "open case" with
    a known victim.

Which of these squeaky wheels do you think will get the oil?

Just my two cents:
    Everything in writing, start local, keep following up to
    Law Enforcement/DA's Office with letters and calls,

GL ES 73, Ken AD6KA

6. N2ZNC

N2ZNC Ham Member QRZ Page

There are a few companies out there that provide a merchant account with no min usage, and allow you to take credit cards. If you have your own merchant account, you can take credit cards and/debit cards. The fees are usually not worse than paypal, and if they attempt to charge back, your own merchant services will provide a defense for you, and as long as you can prove your sale, you will win.

I sold a piece of photographic equipment via craigslist. I have my own merchant account, I generated an invoice, with description, had the person sign the invoice and provide payment via credit card along with ID, and secondary verification.
    He didn't want the equipment, first he tried to say that someone used his credit card. I provided the company with signed invoices, and ID copies that I kept as part of the transaction.

Then he claimed that the item was not "satisfactory and that he was entitled to a refund. Again the invoice that he signed specifically said, Item sold as it, no refunds after 24hr inspection period.

He lost..

george

7. K4AJP

K4AJP Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anybody know if E-Bay mandates you accept Paypal?
    If not, you could use one of the other on-line options as mentioned above.

Another angle I wondered about was funding a Paypal with an
    on-line moneymarket account. I'm not sure but these are offered
    by Credit Merchants like Cap-One and so it might be possible to
    contest the Pay-Pal chargeback as if it were any other dubious
    credit card charge and hence freeze Paypal's actions to
    raid your account. Just a thought.

Great Thread,

-K4AJP

8. WD8FM

WD8FM Ham Member QRZ Page

I dumped PayPal several years ago when they started requiring my bank account info. They want to much personal information. You would think that the CC info I supplied to them and used for years with no problem would be good enough, it wasnt, they set a limit on the account and then zeroed it. Well I am done with PayPal, I now use Google Checkout.

9. KK6FU

KK6FU Ham Member QRZ Page

I no longer use PayPal for the same reasons said by many here today. I don't deal with EBay either. They own PayPal so by the time it said and done you pay an average of 12.5% to those 2 crooks. I demand Postal Money Order for my own and for the buyer's protection. Postal MO are regulated by the Fed. Mail fraud is a crime that will put you away. I will not accept anything but the Postal MO. I will not send the radio until the MO is cashed. Banks can come back at you weeks after they cashed your cashier check. Postal MO is verified by the Postal clerk right there and then, no question or problem afterward. I states this condition up front in the ad. Honest buyers will never have a problem with the condition.

10. KW9W

KW9W Ham Member QRZ Page

In the last year when selling on fleabay, I've included the following in the same size font of my (generally) one paragraph descriptions...

"If you have negative feedback or no previous feedback on ebay, do not bid on this item! Any bid from bidder with negative feedback will be cancelled. Shipping only to locations in the 48 contiguous United States."

If I can't view 100% positive feedback (no negative) from a fleabay winning bidder, I will not ship the item. If the money is sent from someone through paypal that does not fit that criteria, I will return their money through paypal, and not ship the item.

A friend that sells boat anchors from his collection (he's never received negative feedback), and was recently converted to a 21 day wait for his paypal funds. This will apply to any new listings. This Elmer did nothing to deserve it, and the only thing we can think of is that paypal is concerned about deals including old electronics, and/or paypal is excercising new methods of holding money for days at a time for investment, and further profit?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.