Patch panel project, having trouble sourcing parts

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W5LMM, Mar 10, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. W5LMM

    W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

    I have several radios, transverters, antennas, amps, meters, etc and make changes here and there to the point that typical RF switches are just a pain.

    I got the idea of making a Patch-Panel for RF, that would be the plate, labeled for each item, and quick connects at the front (BNC) to facilitate changes easily.

    I am having trouble finding what I need as far as bulkhead type UHF female to BNC female. I can find UHF bulkhead:

    And I can find something like this:
    But it's not a bulkhead type.

    I *could* use something like this:
    on the end of the standard UHF type bulkhead connector, but I'd rather not add more adapters in line.

    Does anyone know where I can find such an animal?

    AF6LJ likes this.
  2. W4JFA

    W4JFA Ham Member QRZ Page

  3. W5LMM

    W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

    Thanks Bob, sadly, all they have is the adapters. I would think what I want exists, but maybe not.
  4. AC0TX

    AC0TX Ham Member QRZ Page

    Pasternack Enterprises, Inc
    Has any kind of weird connector combination/ patch cable that you could dream up
    Except the minimum order might be $100
  5. W5LMM

    W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

    Thanks Michael, I was amazed at the amount of options they had! However, they did not have what I was looking for, so I can only assume that it does not exist. I will have to go the uhf/uhf bulkhead route and use adapters for the bnc. :(
    They must be government sales or something because the prices were insane! I would have no problem making the minimum order! Hihi.
  6. KH6AQ

    KH6AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

    Yes a single-species bulkhead feedthru with an adapter is the solution. Pasternack seems expensive because they sell quality parts to commercial users who need good stuff.
  7. KE0ZU

    KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

    Don't know the amount of power you're switching around, or how your station is set up, but PL-259s IMHO are a real PITA to use. BNC hardware is much easier to source and if you buy it from china its VERY inexpensive.

    If you're just switching exciters with RF levels of a couple hundred watts or so, and have only 2 or 3 linears you run "full bore", use RG-58, or RG-174 with BNCs for all but the Hi-level stuff. I do very little Hi-level switching as I only have 3 different linears and typically keep output levels at less than a few hundred watts I use BNCs for it all.

    99% of all my coax is RG-174 and even that tiny stuff will easily handle a hundred fifty Watts or so. Crimp on connectors are the best thing since sliced bread, and from China dirt cheap.

    This is the panel, note only one RG-58 jumper.

    This is a block of the RF switching portion of the station.

    The T/R switch, receive antenna distribution setup, and the Dummy load with RG213 feedline.

    Some of the various rigs I run here, the great majority of which are far less than a hundred watts out.
    KS4W and W5LMM like this.
  8. KD0CAC

    KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

    You may want to back up and give some details on what you doing , then look at the spec. sheets to see if what your looking for can handle what you want , of course there is the "catch 22" if you looking for something that is not within spec.s then it may not be made - if you running much power , then a BNC may not handle it to not made .
    I do a lot of repurposing / recycling of lots of gear test equipment , radio etc. and have never seen what your asking for - panel mount converters are not common and when do show up , there are only a couple to a few that I have seen , BNC-SMA , then even rarer that I am not recalling .
    There are 239 / 259 quick connectors that use a collar that is split rather than threaded - so they just slide on , but will not lock on , easily pull off , many of these I've seen were home-brew .
  9. K9STH

    K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

    You can make such an animal by using a regular SO-239, a "hood" on the other side with a BNC jack soldered to the hood.

    Glen, K9STH
  10. W4JFA

    W4JFA Ham Member QRZ Page

Share This Page

ad: Amateur-1