ad: Radclub22-1

Parks on the Air - Support Your Parks (this) Weekend!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5KV, Sep 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W5KV

W5KV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Greetings Amateur Radio Operators!

I'm excited to announce the first event of its kind for the Parks on the Air / Worldwide Flora & Fauna Program here in the States...

Support Your Parks Weekend! (09/30/2017-10/01/2017)

The POTA crew have decided to hold their very first event this weekend, Sep. 30-Oct. 1, 2017 (UTC). Support Your Parks Weekend, is an event designed to encourage 'Outdoor Ham Radio & Nature Conservancy!' Operating outdoors can be fun, challenging, and certainly stress relieving! So please join in on the fun this weekend if able!
    What is Parks on the Air? Similar to the National Parks on the Air program held in 2016, any licensed amateur radio operator can participate, whether activating a park or chasing the activators! Simply put, 'Activators' activate the parks, and 'Hunters or Chasers' chase those who are activating! It can be quite exciting, so plug those microphones in, polish that key up, or turn that TNC on! Ops will be using all sorts of modes from CW, to Voice, to Digi!

Checkout the cool awards available to those who participate!

For more information on the WWFF POTA program or to find a map of available parks to activate, please visit: https://wwff-kff.com/. There you'll find more information on how to get more involved, where to submit logs, and all the juicy details!

To join in on the Facebook group, please visit : https://www.facebook.com/groups/parksontheair/

For the official agenda of who is activating, please visit: http://wwff.co/agenda/

[​IMG]

K5ACL

K9ASE, K0ATZ and KI4RHR like this.
  2. KB1HQS

KB1HQS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah baby, it's on like donkey kong! Not sure where I will be activating this weekend, but rest assured I will be on.

WY7RF, K0ATZ and W5KV like this.
  3. W3AAX

W3AAX Ham Member QRZ Page

Same here - under the weather today, but I hope I feel better by tomorrow. Thanks for the post up Johnny and look forward to getting the certs out to you guys afterward. If anyone has any questions, just shoot me an e-mail 73 W3AAX

K0ATZ and W5KV like this.
  4. K2FI

K2FI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll be off the air on Saturday because of Yom Kippur, but I'll try and get out to activate on Sunday!

KB1HQS, AK3B and K0ATZ like this.
  5. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess I could drive over to Nancy Jane park and operate out of the car in the parking lot

W5KV likes this.
  6. K0ATZ

K0ATZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure how this is different than most any other weekend?? ;) But K0ATZ will be out and about for sure!!

W5KV likes this.
  7. KG6LI

KG6LI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Will be activating from San Juan Hill in Chino Hills State Park (KFF-1139). Looking forward to seeing everyone on the air. The last activation from this area was a park was a cardiac event.. 73 de KG6LI

KD4AYU, W5KV and K3RW like this.
  8. W5KV

That's awesome you recorded your CW QSOs. Very nice video! I understood a few calls there (in CW Academy now), but there were a few that were pretty fast! Good luck with your activation.

73 & 44

K5ACL

KF5LKG likes this.
  9. KQ7D

KQ7D Ham Member QRZ Page

Does this include local municipal parks?

K4CAQ likes this.
  10. W0ZF

W0ZF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been meaning to do some KFF POTA activations ever since NPOTA concluded at the end of 2016. Now summer is gone and I had yet to give it a go. This event gave me the incentive. I had the afternoon to myself, a beautiful fall Minnesota day, and a park on the list about 30 minutes away, so I signed up and posted my plans Friday evening for a 2-hour Saturday afternoon activation. Got to the site, set up, self-spotted as instructed, and immediately had several loud stations calling with scarcely any noise on 20m.
    Unfortunately, after 3 quick CW QSOs, my KX2 shut down because the internal battery was low. I pulled out my fully charged Bioenno external battery, only to realize that the power cable for the rig was not in my go kit. So, my activation ended right there.
    My apologies to the stations that were looking for me. Will try again!
    73 de W0ZF

W5KV likes this.
  11. W3AAX

W3AAX Ham Member QRZ Page

Negative - please visit parksontheair.com for the park list. We focus on national and state owned lands only.

12. KG6LI

KG6LI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some are pretty fast for me too. Often I record the audio and double check calls at home before log submission. 73

W5KV likes this.
  13. W5KV

It happens to all of us ;) It's usually the last minute trips where I always forget something! Thanks for heading out nonetheless!

14. OH2FFY

OH2FFY Ham Member QRZ Page

''Support Your Parks''

Do parks need supporting , and if so , how does using a Ham Radio support the park ?

gregW:) OH2FFY

N8TGQ likes this.
  15. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Darn, just saw this post. I have great park options I operate from regularly. Was set up on Will Rogers State Beach just yesterday in fact. Checked the site but rather cluttered- how often will POTA events be held? I see there is a Jan 20-21st event though!
    Thx
    Clifford

Did