ad: UR5CDX-1

Parks on the Air - now in England

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Aug 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. G4IAR

G4IAR Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to know the difference between a contest and an award. This one is a shameless rip off of the established WWFF scheme anyway.

2. KJ3X

KJ3X Ham Member QRZ Page

IMO the WWFF was a PITA, I like the POTA setup for award tracking, and pretty much everything else. While I agree it was a ripoff, the ARRL started the US side, then POTA continued, and do it better than WWFF.

N6XDX, KC8YRK and W8TAM like this.
  3. GM7VSB

GM7VSB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's the fleg of the union not england.

4. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

parks on the air is wonern fully time at good luck vy73 DJOAJ ekrem

5. KD4QFT

KD4QFT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have not seen any post referring to it as the flag of England
    Missed it again

6. KF7WIS

KF7WIS QRZ CEO QRZ HQ Staff Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi all,
    I am going to claim responsibility for the mirror image that I placed with this story. It wasn't placed by the author and I have now changed it. Just carelessness, no distress to report:)
    Jaime
    CEO, QRZ.com

M0TCH likes this.
  7. KC8YRK

KC8YRK Ham Member QRZ Page

Been hunting for a year and a half now and activating for 7 months. The program got me off my butt and outside. Not only do I activate I also explore these parks. Seen things I never would have saw sitting on the couch. As for the ragchew part, there are regulars that i ragchew with when I activate and have had some eyeball QSOs with other activators. 73

N4SJK, W9AFB, K5VZD and 4 others like this.
  8. KZ7ZUL

KZ7ZUL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I haven't been very active with Parks on the air up until just a couple of months ago. So far now, I've activated four parks, and getting ready to head out for number five tomorrow! I've had a couple of P2P contacts, and to me that's a real thrill. I never know how far away that next contact is going to be. Not only that, but with the way the bands have been lately, my reception at home is lousy. I get out to these parks and it's like the world just opened up! It's amazing how little noise is out there unless you truly take a chance and try it out yourself! 73,
    KZ7ZUL

W9AFB, KS4TD and N6XDX like this.
  9. M0YRX

M0YRX Ham Member QRZ Page

The original main title had something like "Parks on air now in England" with a picture of a Union Jack flag not the flag of St. George.

10. GM7VSB

GM7VSB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Eyes up Colin, it’s in the thread title.

11. G3NYY

G3NYY Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a definition of CB ... not ham radio.

Walt (G3NYY)

12. WA3TVH

WA3TVH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So true! Ham radio is a diverse hobby with something for everyone which is why it has survived all these years. I have heard the same arguments about FT 8 and working DX. 73's

KZ7ZUL and K5VZD like this.
  13. HB9ASQ

HB9ASQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Fact is, I do try to avoid them. Just like the endless nonsensical contests we have over here in Europe practically every weekend. And I'm not alone in complaining. It's a hot topic in EU. And if YOU don't like hearing rag-chewing, then you can tune away too. But where? The contesters and "special (non)events stations" occupy entire bands. Come over here and do some listening, then you might be better placed to understand my comments. What we have today is "industrialized" hamming - hamming on the conveyer belt. It's a Zeitgeist. It's all about competition and scoring points and "getting ahead". But ahead of whom and what? It's just a carry-over from our sick society. It's a ham radio neurosis. I've been a ham for 60 years and have never seen the hobby degenerate to the level it is now. A big part of the problem was opening the flood gates to CB refugees - at least here in EU. They don't want to learn hamming; they just continue their CB antics on the ham bands. The RSGB in Britain defends this by saying "the hobby needs new blood". Yes, it does. But how about giving the newcomers a blood test first. Many have tried to educate them. But they are arrogant and refuse to be taught. People just don't want to talk to one another anymore. No one is interested in other people anymore - just "number one". Another sign of the times. This is not the ham radio hobby I got into.
    Bob HB9ASQ (ex WA2UPQ)

14. K3STG

K3STG Ham Member QRZ Page

our time, our electricity ... get over it laddy

KZ7ZUL likes this.
  15. HB9ASQ

HB9ASQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You obviously haven't been in the business very long.