ad: MyersEng-1

Parks on the Air | Kilo Award | Ft-891 |Buddistick

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4FDT, Dec 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W4FDT

W4FDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Join me as I make my first KILO award for the Parks on the Air program using the buddistick antenna system. This was one of my first few videos when I started doing POTA.

KC4YMT, M1WML, NA4A and 10 others like this.
  2. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations on the award Dewayne. A nice short and sweet video there. I’m still waiting to get the Buddistick Pro over here in the U.K. shouldn’t be too much longer I imagine. Really nice to see you using the 891 out there this time, man I wish they’d put 2&70 on that. I had a play with a friends at the club when it was first released it seemed to be a great radio. Anyway friend as always thanks for the content and I wish you and the family a very happy holiday and best wishes for the coming year. Stay safe Dewayne, 73.

M1WML likes this.
  3. W4FDT

W4FDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you very much for the kind words. I totally agree, I wished they had left 2m and 70cm on the radio.. this video was one of my first few youtube videos but I wanted people to see how easy it is to get out and do these park activations. I hope you get your Buddistick pro soon because i know once you learn to tune it, youll love it! Happy Holidays to you and your family, I hope to catch you on the air sometime! 73 friend.

M1WML and 2E0TWD like this.
  4. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good, maybe next year you can make some CW contacts. 73'
    Keep safe my friend.

M1WML and W4FDT like this.
  5. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Right on brother! POTA has become an amazing activity!

I'm not allowed to put The Magic Kingdom on-the-air, right?!? LOL

M1WML, 2E0TWD and W4FDT like this.
  6. W1SRR

W1SRR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent video that shows how easy it is to make contacts, get some fresh air, and try out different equipment configurations. POTA ON friend!

M1WML likes this.
  7. KD2HAM

KD2HAM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Buddistick Pro is a great portable antenna. Good stuff and congrats!

M1WML likes this.
  8. W3PAL

W3PAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats! It takes a lot of dedication to make that many contacts with a portable rig and a poor antenna.
    Few observations about my BuddiStick if you decide to get one:
    I have a BuddiStick but only use it when no other antenna can be deployed. It's nearly impossible to tune it to resonance without an antenna analyzer, especially on 40 meters. So, every time it's deployed or bands are changed, I need to use the analyzer to fine tune the whip length and sometimes the radial's length to resonance on a given frequency. It's bandwidth is very narrow on 40 meters. Obviously, it won't cover the whole 40 m band without adjustments. I don't like to use any antenna tuners due to additional coax losses on an already low efficiency antenna system.
    Having an antenna analyzer with me is no big deal unless I pack my gear into my motorcycle. Another box takes space and adds weight. This is why I always prefer to deploy a dipole or an end-fed for portable work. Sometimes no trees or any other supports are available. Then the BuddiStick comes out. I clip it to the handlebars or bring a lightweight tripod (like in this video) with me.
    The reason I wrote the above is to tell people that BuddiStick is not a miracle antenna some may think and it's not the answer to antenna problems you may be having. It's good for some applications but don't expect it to perform as good as a full size dipole (at a proper height).
    I'm sure many will argue that they work DX on a BuddiStick. Sure, why not. It's all about propagation. I once worked Japan on a 100 watt light bulb connected to my home made, 50 watt radio instead of the 4 el. Cubic Quads antenna (home brewers with gray hair would know what the lightbulb was used for). Got a 5/9 report too. This was on 10 meters in 1991, when solar cycle was "on fire". The lightbulb antenna was marginally better than a dummy load but excellent propagation got the job done.

M1WML and NA4A like this.
  9. 7X2GK

7X2GK Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations on the award Dewayne, 73 de 7x2gk, kamel

M1WML likes this.
  10. NA4A

NA4A XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well Done! Just started POTA in October. Still have 533 from my favorite park

M1WML likes this.
  11. KC4TVZ

KC4TVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I just want to say I got 2 of those KILO awards in 2021 with a Icon706 Original and a Hustler VP-1 20/40 meter roof magnet mount antennas. At Parks. K-2171 and K- 2177 in the Mobile.

M1WML likes this.
  12. KI5GX

KI5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats Dewayne! Always wanted to activate - in the process of moving (ugh) - off to binge on your channel!

M1WML likes this.
  13. KJ4SPM

KJ4SPM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats DeWayne! Another GREAT video! keep up the great work!

M1WML likes this.
  14. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page