ad: CQMM-1

Parks on the Air had another record breaking month!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5QBF, Nov 8, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K5QBF

K5QBF Ham Member QRZ Page

October was another fantastic month for the Parks on the Air program. There were over 1,600 hams heading out portable and made over 320,000 qso's. October also added Ireland and India to the POTA program. This month Vance also explains how to log the 2fer and 3fer parks. My goal for November will be to activate 5 parks in one UTC 24hr period.

W2CSI, 9H1AZ, K8HU and 14 others like this.
  2. K5EFJ

K5EFJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently began hunting these parks. It's been a lot of fun. I would like to try to activate a park but am afraid with my impaired hearing that I couldn't manage a pile up very well. My thanks to all the hams who are going out and activating these parks.

N7BWB, KM1NDY, KI4YZN and 3 others like this.
  3. KO4CQ

KO4CQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I plan on some activations, weather permitting. I wear hearing aids, and sometimes have trouble picking up calls. So I plan on taking my wife, whose hearing is TOO good, to do the logging. It will get us out of the house, and we’ll be doing something together.

W2CSI, W3DLB, KZ4TN and 7 others like this.
  4. AI7FF

AI7FF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Did my first activation last week. I wear hearing aids and didn’t need my headset. Give it a go! You might get hooked.

W2CSI, W1SRR, M1WML and 2 others like this.
  5. W9BLF

W9BLF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wear a hearing aid, yes only one, usually take it out and use my headset if running voice. If voice is an issue for you guys/gals, consider using digital like FT8.

M1WML likes this.
  6. K5MGK

K5MGK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I recently got myself a headset for my G90 so that I can better hear who's calling. I also have a hearing loss. I haven't had trouble before and if I don't hear someone, I just ask for them to repeat and they do without complaining. The POTA hunters (I am one too) are usually very considerate. I plan to go out again once we have a frost. I want a bug free activation after the summer. Get out there K5EFJ and give it a try!

M1WML and K5EFJ like this.
  7. K5QBF

K5QBF Ham Member QRZ Page

Always remember if you are the activator you run the show. Go as slow or as fast as you need. There are some that do it contest style and there are some that are really laid back and have a short conversation with each contact. Do what works best for you. It is a lot of fun, I love setting up in the park with a zero noise floor.

KH6AQ, KE8OKM, K8XG and 9 others like this.
  8. K8RDG

K8RDG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Activators, please remember to upload your logs to POTA so that activators and hunters each receive credit.

AI5DD, N5LOT, KI4YZN and 3 others like this.
  9. K5EFJ

K5EFJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank y'all for the encouragement! I think that I'll have to give it serious consideration.

M1WML likes this.
  10. KD2HAM

KD2HAM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hunted four parks today. Always fun. Also did my first activation in Oct with 155 QSOs. What a rush!

K5MGK, M1WML and K5QBF like this.
  11. WA3RSR

WA3RSR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes. I agree that POTA is nice because, as an activator, I can choose a more relaxed pace. I like to exchange basic information with each QSO and will take my time, unless I hear a pile up building. Then I may stick to Name, RST, and QTH. But given my druthers, I like to also know the power and antenna for each contact.

WA3RSR (Maryland) and WA3RSR/5 (West Texas)

K5EFJ, K5MGK, KD2HAM and 2 others like this.
  12. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

13. KI4MYD

KI4MYD Ham Member QRZ Page

It's finally cooling off here in the south to the point where we don't have to deal with heat, gnats, and mosquitos on activations, so expect the numbers to continue to rise! I've done 4 or 5 activations since October and the pileups from hunters are at an all time high. So much fun!

K5QBF likes this.
  14. M0TNX

M0TNX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hopefully out soon putting some new G and GW parks for the Hunters. Myself and Ron, G4DIY, have activated GW-0006 recently as MC7DX. Enjoy being out and about portable.

WS4AU, AE0Q, W3AAX and 1 other person like this.
  15. KG8ZQ

KG8ZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

My wife hears too well also. If she listens carefully, she can tell you if two photons are in a state of quantum entanglement. If she wants to show off, she'll tell you their polarization!
    73 Jerry KG8ZQ

N7JRR, K5QBF and K5EFJ like this.