Parity ACT HR1301 Dies in Senate

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Dec 10, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N1FM

N1FM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's exactly what I did when I asked for my tower and Tennadyne log periodic beam. I had a party, invited the HOA board, plied them with food and liquor, let their kids swim in my pool, explained that I'd be happy to pass traffic in the event of the "big one" then humorously pointed out all the other 'violations' throughout the plan. There were many of them. You did exactly what you needed to do to exempt yourself from a a portion of a freely signed covenant. I had no problems and I didn't ask for the permission of congress. They also let me park my boat in the side yard. Amazing what a little personal diplomacy can accomplish. Good for you!

K3XR likes this.
  2. KR6AUL

KR6AUL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Amazing what an individual can do when they take the initiative and not rely on the the nanny state to do their bidding.

K8AI, KC2UGV and (deleted member) like this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

There seems to be a lack of balance with respect to this whole CC&R issue, and the discussion surrounding it. Yes, it's a challenge. Yes, there are areas of the country where it is SOP to place land use restrictions on all available housing, whether sold or leased. If you want to live and work in DC or SoCal, you are more than likely going to have to deal with CC&Rs, no matter where you live. That's the trade-off that is currently available to people who live in such urban areas.

But CC&Rs are not the top challenge to HF radio. I would much rather live in an HOA neighborhood that had little or no RFI, than to live in a CC&R-free neighborhood that has an average RFI level by today's standards. If FCC would regulate issues of RFI to where I could hear the other stations, I could easily live with antenna designs that were down below the fence line, or hidden in the attic. A dipole or small transmitting loop in the attic of a 2-story house can have fantastic performance. The main obstacle to such stealth antenna farms is the RFI coming from all the cheap imported electronics in one's own house, and the neighbors nearby.

The RFI issue needs to be addressed soon, or nobody will be able to use HF at all, CC&R or not. If you somehow get Congress to relieve you of the "no outdoor antennas" line item of the contract you signed, you still won't be able to work anybody if the local RFI buries all the signals you are trying to hear.

ARRL needs to get their legislative priorities straight. Their track record on getting legislation through the US Congress is abysmal. They may only get one bill passed in the next decade. Let's make it a bill that all of us can use, that matters to everybody. If ARRL can get Congress to get FCC to put a lid on RFI issues, even your stealth antenna farm in your HOA community will become a good performer. If they don't, all you will be able to hear at your fancy HOA house is the buzz of your neighbors' UV lights and RV battery chargers.

1 person likes this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

AFTER re-writing it...

1 person likes this.
  6. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

The ONLY "reasonable" accomodation is the one that says that I, and only *I* OWN my property. The only "reasonable" law is one that recognizes that the only "rights" regarding antennas are those that allow me to put up whatever the H** I durn please on my property without some 4-eyed little HOA nazi telling me I "can't have THIS, can't do THAT on my own land. Thus, I am most grateful that there are NOT such restrictions in my county/town, and there is NO 'HOA" that thinks it can come over here and tell me how many cars I can park on MY grass, or how many antennas I can put up. The more I read about this, the more I am determined to hand onto my house; its 'wun'derful!!!!!! :)

N5PZJ likes this.
  7. KJ4AUQ

KJ4AUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, We'd all have a Merry Christmas"

Who has more voters available to support the re-election of the Senator or Congressman? HAM's? HOA members?
    Who contributes more money to the re-election of same? ARRL? HAMS? HOA"s?

Right, wrong, indifferent; Money and vote numbers talk, not what is good for the country.

Any bill that is acceptable for the voting bodies will contain reassurances to HOA's that they have some say in antenna approval. Even with this, the bill has a small chance of getting by the Florida Senator who blocked it because he was angry over some FCC issue.

Not to be insulting, but those of you who think a new bill favorable to HAMS allowing the placement of a tower with a beam; please help yourself to the candy and nuts. Those who can live with a screwdriver with radials, a compromise dipole or vertical that cannot be seen from the front of the house can go for the bourbon.

I am not personally a fan of any regulation or any HOA. Like my first platoon sergeant used to say "LT, that is just the way it is".

WB4YAL likes this.
  8. WB4YAL

WB4YAL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why Bill Nelson keeps getting re-elected escapes me, HE is out of touch with not only the folks in Florida but The Rest of the Nation!!!! But rather than a bill to get the government involved, we need Changes in the FCC. They could put the issue to bed once and for all!

9. WB4YAL

WB4YAL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well said, Colonel Fowler!

10. K4RGN

K4RGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are nuances in Senate procedure that the press does not always get right. "Holds" arise in various forms. In the last days of a Congress, just about everything happens via unanimous consent. They try to clear all the legislation that no one objects to. Lots of these things are processed at the last minute, and the Senate does not have time to debate any of them. On Friday the House handled 27 items and the Senate handled 67. This week the Senate still has 9 treaties and 155 nominations to deal with. It's not as though the Senators are sitting on their butts playing Game Boys.

1 person likes this.