ad: elecraft

Parity ACT HR1301 Dies in Senate

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Dec 10, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N5XZ

N5XZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

First Trump, now this! Things are looking UP!!!

K2CCK, K3XR and (deleted member) like this.
  2. K4JDH

K4JDH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have stayed off this topic for quite a while now. The easy and proper solution is and always has been to avoid real estate that comes with antenna restrictions. FWIW: I hate HOAs and antenna restrictions. For these reasons, I avoided such with the purchase of my home. It is all about choice.

K2CCK, K2NCC, KO2LA and 2 others like this.
  3. AE1CT

AE1CT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HOA COMMUNITIES IN MY AREA CHARGE FEES FOR DOGS, NO VEHICLE'S WITH COMMERCIAL TAGS, NO BOATS, NO CAMPERS THEY BASICALY TELL YOU WHAT YOU CAN AND CAN NOT DO ON YOUR OWN PROPERTY. NOW IF THE PARITY ACT IS PASSED THEY WILL BE CHARGING FEES FOR ANTENNAS. YOU NEED THE HOA'S APPROVAL JUST TO HAVE A GENERATOR FOR EMERGENCY POWER. I THINK THAT ALL HOA'S SHOULD BE DONE AWAY WITH THEIR NOTHING BUT A JOKE.

K2CCK likes this.
  4. KA4AQM

KA4AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Disappointed, but evidently was meant to be. Perhaps re-write could be more defined to satisfy both sides. I see both sides of the debate. I really believe HOAs started out as well-intended efforts to curb anything that detracts from maintaining community standards, but has turned into a snowball, out of control. But unless you can define every single thing you DON'T want in your community, there will always be someone who will find a way to skirt it. We also have to remember that even if we can put up antennas, we as a ham community are still expected to help resolve any problems created by us. Stealth can still be your friend, but if a neighbor comes knocking due to interference, we are still on the hook to help in resolution, whether the HOA has approved the antenna or not.

Randy
    KA4AQM
    Chesapeake, VA

5. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Where are KU0O and giggles, KK4GGL hiding? All that work and tit-for-tat posting and BAM. Down with a wimper. Like others have said, a re-write at least or just honor your signature.

K4JDH likes this.
  6. WB4YAL

WB4YAL Ham Member QRZ Page

That POOR compromise was ILL-CONCEIVED! The ARRL caved in to HOA interests and just gave them more leverage to restrict hams from putting up antennas. If the government is going to get involved, there should be NO restrictions on reasonable antenna structures pursuant to the government (FCC) issued license. And REASONABLE should be specifically spelled out in the law so that there is no UNREASONABLE interpretation of the law by the HOA (CCR) entity. I don't see that happening because lawyers always build in a clause somewhere to allow for litigation.
    As I figured out early in the game, the original idea for the Parity act had good intentions but ya know what they say about good intentions.

N5PZJ likes this.
  7. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Its Politics, the FCC did not get Rosenworcel Also, so I expect to it (The Bill) to be back, see you then. Happy Chanukah, Merry Christmas, Have a wonderful festivus. Happy New year!

8. KU0O

KU0O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I take the long view on getting legislation passed. Those of us who actively supported Congress got this legislation advanced further than ever before. If Ham's and the ARRL need to deal with Senators like Bill Nelson of Florida, different tactics will be needed. The ARRL tried to get this passed going through open channels and Nelson put a hold on it. He did not even allow the bill to come up for a vote. If this is the type of dirty politics Bill Nelson wants to play, so be it. In the future attach it to a bill that needs to go through the reconciliation process in the Senate. No filibusters, no holds and no BS. Just a simple up and down vote.

N5PZJ likes this.
  9. W1HPT

W1HPT Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it's outrageous that a single senator like Bill Nelson of Florida, can block a bill from coming to a floor vote by putting a "hold" on it. If another bill is introduced Nelson will still be there for another 2 years. Does anyone know what his actual objections were so we can counter them? His major donations seem to come from large law firms. He might listen to a major donor. Politics is a rotten business. Another tactic might be for a senator who is a ham to put a hold on a bill that has major benefits for Florida, and then trade removing that hold for Nelson removing his hold. Senators have called that logrolling and horse trading for over 2 centuries.

K6FNI likes this.
  10. AG7BF

AG7BF Ham Member QRZ Page

This is only theoretically true. Some people with certain sorts of job training can only live in areas where such a job is available. Moving is expensive, and due to financial realities, options for many are restricted. In my case, I can't go out and look for a job in a particular place without making a career change (which is prohibitively expensive in and of itself). In the area where I live, there are no options within my budget that are outside of HOAs.

Having said all that, when I wanted to put up an exterior antenna in violation of the HOA rules, I wrote a detailed letter politely requesting permission and explaining the potential benefits to the community in an emergency situation. I got permission about three days later.

W0KAD likes this.
  11. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

That's exactly what I did when I asked for my tower and Tennadyne log periodic beam. I had a party, invited the HOA board, plied them with food and liquor, let their kids swim in my pool, explained that I'd be happy to pass traffic in the event of the "big one" then humorously pointed out all the other 'violations' throughout the plan. There were many of them. You did exactly what you needed to do to exempt yourself from a a portion of a freely signed covenant. I had no problems and I didn't ask for the permission of congress. They also let me park my boat in the side yard. Amazing what a little personal diplomacy can accomplish. Good for you!

K3XR likes this.
  12. KR6AUL

KR6AUL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

13. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Amazing what an individual can do when they take the initiative and not rely on the the nanny state to do their bidding.

K8AI, KC2UGV and (deleted member) like this.
  14. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

There seems to be a lack of balance with respect to this whole CC&R issue, and the discussion surrounding it. Yes, it's a challenge. Yes, there are areas of the country where it is SOP to place land use restrictions on all available housing, whether sold or leased. If you want to live and work in DC or SoCal, you are more than likely going to have to deal with CC&Rs, no matter where you live. That's the trade-off that is currently available to people who live in such urban areas.

But CC&Rs are not the top challenge to HF radio. I would much rather live in an HOA neighborhood that had little or no RFI, than to live in a CC&R-free neighborhood that has an average RFI level by today's standards. If FCC would regulate issues of RFI to where I could hear the other stations, I could easily live with antenna designs that were down below the fence line, or hidden in the attic. A dipole or small transmitting loop in the attic of a 2-story house can have fantastic performance. The main obstacle to such stealth antenna farms is the RFI coming from all the cheap imported electronics in one's own house, and the neighbors nearby.

The RFI issue needs to be addressed soon, or nobody will be able to use HF at all, CC&R or not. If you somehow get Congress to relieve you of the "no outdoor antennas" line item of the contract you signed, you still won't be able to work anybody if the local RFI buries all the signals you are trying to hear.

ARRL needs to get their legislative priorities straight. Their track record on getting legislation through the US Congress is abysmal. They may only get one bill passed in the next decade. Let's make it a bill that all of us can use, that matters to everybody. If ARRL can get Congress to get FCC to put a lid on RFI issues, even your stealth antenna farm in your HOA community will become a good performer. If they don't, all you will be able to hear at your fancy HOA house is the buzz of your neighbors' UV lights and RV battery chargers.

1 person likes this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

AFTER re-writing it...

1 person likes this.