ad: AbAuRe-1

Parachute Mobile you say?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Oct 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

If you get some time check out Mile Patey. He tests a BRS chute on his new build. Flew a Cirrus a few times and they come equipped. They had issues with fatalities at the start because pilots neede d to be trained when and where to use it. Once done their safety is great. Never had that option but it sure is the smart move in light aircraft.

M1WML, KM9G, N0TZU and 1 other person like this.
  2. KI4UYA

KI4UYA Ham Member QRZ Page

For the life of me, I never have or will have the understanding why someone would jump out of a perfectly good airplane.

M1WML and KD8DEY like this.
  3. AJ5F

AJ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

This is no big deal. I worked the first parachute mobile (N5ADU/P5) in north Texas 1978.

M1WML likes this.
  4. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OHAI!

M1WML and KM9G like this.
  5. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's FLORIDA.. we do things different around these parts... except no banjo playing by a wide-eyed yungster...

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

M1WML likes this.
  6. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Carlos is planning on making HF contacts. The good thing about video/audio taping the jump is that you have a copy of every QSO for later logging!

M1WML and IK0TIX like this.
  7. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I was watching the video and thinking a smaller radio like a KX2 with internal tuner/battery and an MFJ-18xxT for the antenna attached to the radio directly (like a big HT) would work. I use that combo (with the 1820T, a 20m antenna) for pedestrian mobile or for quick and dirty set ups all the time. The problem is the counterpoise. That needs to be a wire coming off the rig itself (13' for 20m). One of the higher bands (12m or 10m) would reduce the counterpoise requirement considerably.

Chris

M1WML likes this.
  8. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

If you haven't heard of them, check out these guys in California:

https://parachutemobile.wordpress.com/equipment-gear/

They have done 2 m, Echolink, and HF.
    I actually heard their HF attempts via WebSDR.
    That groups seems to have a good time, weather permitting. :)

M1WML and KC5HWB like this.
  9. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Prefer the Fiddle myself

M1WML likes this.
  10. IK0TIX

IK0TIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

quite right! I did not think about it :cool:

M1WML likes this.
  11. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No thank you! Right in the perfectly good airplane is exactly where I'll stay.

M1WML, N0TZU and KM9G like this.
  12. XV9G

XV9G Guest

BORING!!!

M1WML likes this.
  13. WB5OSD

WB5OSD Ham Member QRZ Page

M1WML likes this.
  14. WB5OSD

Check out parachutemobile.org. Personally I have made 5 Tandem jumps with 2 successful parachute mobile jumps.
    All of my contacts were made through a local repeater to maximize the number of contacts. I have made a total of 20 contacts while under the canopy.
    Logging is not a problem. I had a cassette tape recorder in my truck beside the 2-meter rig.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    M1WML likes this.
  15. WB5OSD

Check out parachute mobile.org. Personally I have made 2 successful PM jumps, making a
    total of 20 contacts ( via local repeater to maximize contacts ) while under the canopy. My
    rig was an Kenwood " HT ". WB5OSD

M1WML likes this.