Paper logs, Wind up watches, and Clublog

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by VK2ICJ, Jun 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VK2ICJ

VK2ICJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Gday all

I've been QRT for a "few" years but started playing radios again at the start of the year. Getting my code back up to speed in between life. At anyrate I've always in decades past kept my log on paper in a logbook yes it is made of paper too. I use a pencil or pen and write in my QSO's. When working DX in the past in a pile up if I'm not sure if I got the station I left a blank line with the call and wrote a letter or email to confirm with them if I was in the log and then just copied their details. OK so early in the month I get the DX bug again and try for 3D2CR. The pile up is mad and full of JA's some even on top of 3D2CR. I'm using a very modest station with a vertical between the garden shed and a brick wall. In the midst of QSO battle I hear my call and respond with "5nn tu .." I hear "tu .." along with a number of other stations being lids. But unsure if it was for me as the op then sent another call and a sig report. He was working several stations in a row. (good op btw) Being out of the game for a bit I was not going to log it (mistake I know) so just scratched in my logbook the call and decided to keep trying another night. Several nights later I worked them again and got a solid no questions asked QSO.. Whoo hoo logged 100%. I figured I would wait till they returned and see if my call was in their log for the second (or first really) QSO. OK so fast forward to my question. I logged into Club Log and whacked my call in. It showed 2 QSO's but wanted the date time details,,,,,arrrrghhhh. It took me several attempts to get the second QSO confirmed as my wind up Mickey Mouse Watch is not spot on time wise. A few minutes here and there finally got it. Ok I realize I need to update a bit and log on the computer and such. I have no idea about the first QSO though.. I was wondering is there a way to see the details of what a DX station has logged for your QSO before you enter the details yourself?

TNX es 73 de vk2icj kn

Chris:eek:

2. N4FZ

N4FZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Chris, You have to enter your data to “match” their data. That’s the way Clublog verifies the contact. GL and congratulations on making the contacts. 73 Gene

3. VK2ICJ

I'm learning that. :(

N4FZ likes this.
  4. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

welcome back! It's fun, isnt it?

as NF4Z said, you gotta know the details... also, regarding 3D2CR, they only confirm via LoTW for the cost of $5 paid via clublog OQRS. If you're interested in QSL confirmation, get used to using LoTW and paying for some of the DXpedition confirmations. Just the way it is...

N4FZ likes this.
  5. VK2ICJ

No worries, I don't mind sending some cash to help with the QSL cards and Dxpeditions.. I was just hoping to confirm that second contact as well.

N4FZ likes this.
  6. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

There's nothing wrong with using paper logs. I've never had a logbook crash, fail to "boot up", need a new battery, or need a software update.

When I get into a pileup, I record on scratch paper: the call sign of the DX, the frequency on which the DX op is transmitting, and the UTC date. I record this information as soon as I get into the pileup. If I'm fortunate enough to work the DX, then all I need to record is the UTC time as the other information is on my scratch pad and transfer to the logbook.

I use one of the so-called "atomic clocks" in my shack that sets itself according to a signal from radio station WWV here in the US. I do not know what is available along those lines in VK.

If there is even a ghost of a chance that I made the contact, I log it as noted above.

7. VK2ICJ

Mate I do the same usually. Lesson learned. I did confirm one and that is good enough for me. There is no atomic time in Oz via RF that I know of. Someone correct me. When I would write down 22:37 for a time UTC according to Mickey it never mattered before if atomic UTC time was 22:46 until I had to enter an exact time in Clublog.. Not sure if they had atomic time on Conway Reef but I imagine others have a minute or two discrepancies in their logs too.
    In Oz we do not have RF time other than a beep on some AM stations at the top of the hour. I don't think there is any way to use that though. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. We can use the internet and when conditions are really good WWV.

W5BIB likes this.
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you have a 30-minute window of error with most of the online logging services.

KM4SII likes this.
  9. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe that's the rule for LoTW (Logbook of the World), but I'm not sure if that works for ClubLog or other OQRS purposes or not. I use LoTW. I enter the QSOs from my logbook fairly often. It's laborious if I have a lot of QSOs, but in the end, the paper logbook is in my control and not someone else's control.

W5BIB likes this.
  10. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

You may be able to sync your computer's clock to UTC on the internet through nist.gov (National Institute of Standards and Technology). They're the folks who run WWV.