ad: M2Ant-1

Panadapter tap for SDR - on an IF stage or frontend?

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by AK4YA, Feb 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
  1. AK4YA

AK4YA Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking at PAT board kit for my FT897D. Seems there are 2 options here. I have to choose between tapping on one of the IFs, or I can opt for the "2nd receiver" if I put it on the frontend. I have a nice DDC SDR that offers 50Mhz of spectrum, so Im leaning towards putting it on the front end as I dont think the IF stage offers anywhere near that much bandwidth.

But then the manufacturer of the PAT board says something about having to tune the SDR independent of the HF rig if I go the "2nd receiver" option?

But wouldnt CAT be what solves this for if it was on the IF stage? and if so, why wouldnt CAT be able to solve this if I set it up for "2nd receiver" option?

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The author is probably not considering CAT usage. He is addressing basic installation and manual control.

Your analysis of the options is sound; Bandwidth vs. Filtering vs. SDR overload performance.

3. AK4YA

AK4YA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, thanks much - that makes sense.

Also it seems that there is also this IF tap:
    https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-z10000u-kit
    This one apparently has a 6dB preamp as well - they only talk about the IF tap for it though, would it be suitable for the front end as well as on the IF?