Palomar Engineers balun purchase failure.

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by VK4FUQ, Jun 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. VK4FUQ

VK4FUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

G'day all, I have had general success with online purchases, however a recent purchase of a balun from Palomar Engineers has apparently ended in failure. The initial online purchase went through as normal and tracking check indicated that the balun was on its way to the intended destination, however the latest tracking check indicated 'returned to sender' due to addressing issues, however my checking indicated no errors with the address.

I wonder what has happened to the item? I guess that I'll chalk this one up to experience, as they say. Needless to say, I will never purchase anything from Palomar Engineers again! Regards, Felix vk4fuq.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

1. What does PE say?
    2. What method of shipping? If sent US Postal Service, keep in mind that they have been undergoing reorganization with colossal delays and lost and misrouted packages.

3. W9IQ

W9IQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe they sent it common mode instead of common carrier.

- Glenn W9IQ

KD5PME, K6EFA, WB5YUZ and 6 others like this.
  4. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Like Standing Wave Ratio (SWR) shippers have Standing Package Ratio (SPR) It's the standard deviation measurement of many packages that get Returned To Sender (RTS) for unknown reasons. I suspect Felix is today's SPR victim! ;)

K0UO, WA7ARK and PU2OZT like this.
  5. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

After attending supposed technical seminars presented by the proprietor of Palomar at the Yuma hamfest(s), I was not impressed with his technical knowledge, and especially with his antenna advice, and decided that I would send my business elsewhere. There are also substantial price mark-ups compared to buying ferites from Mouser or Digikey, or even KF7P.com.

KD8IOI, KN6CSB, KM4FVI and 1 other person like this.
  6. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They just shipped me a rather large order.
    No problems don't blame them before you check the delivery service, customs in your country, and what not. When I ship stuff to my Belize Central American address a lot of times customs screws everything up. I've had them rip off the packing and address information information.

I do buy parts to build from Mouser or Digikey

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire in the Air & On the AIR daily

7. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ha! That's a good one!

K0UO likes this.
  8. VK4FUQ

VK4FUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

G'day all, a couple of additional points. Yes I have emailed PE to enquire about the 'lost' balun, but have received no response, and yes I used premium (and expensive) international mail with guaranteed delivery in three and five days. A complete and total waste of time and money. As I said before, 'Palomar Engineers', never again! Regards, Felix vk4fuq.

9. KO7PAS

KO7PAS Ham Member QRZ Page

I had one go to my main distribution center from Illinois, then went back to Kentucky, then made it's way back to my main distribution center and then delivered to me. I had to laugh! Guess my parts wanted to see more of the country? Thankfully, I didn't need those parts for a project I was working on at the time.

KF4NU likes this.
  10. K1LH

K1LH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Blaming the vendor for failure of the shipper to deliver it.. First call should be to the shipper to find out why they couldn't deliver it, maybe the issue can be corrected and another delivery attempted before it goes all the way back to the US.

K8HIT, AB6RF, KI4ZUQ and 1 other person like this.