Paid for an Icom IC-SM6. Guy sent me an SM-2.

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KE0EYJ, Jul 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you look inside the mic to see if someone added a battery inside of it ?

Good Luck.

2. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I did not.

See schematic, and note what's printed at the upper right.

[​IMG]

(the SM-6 manual was sent to me, with this SM-2 mic -- the mic was actually pictured with the SM-6 manual, as well).

3. KA9JLM

I seen that, That mic may have been used on a radio that did not provide power.

That is why some people add a battery to the mic, Instead of modifying the radio.

KE0EYJ likes this.
  4. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

According to that link I found earlier, that ham said that the SM2 had a lower output than the SM6, and provides a modification for increasing the output. I'm wondering if perhaps that has been done, or maybe the microphone is just mis-wired.

SM2 SM-6  Desktop microphone wiring.png

To not think the worst of the seller, the two models look kind of alike and maybe he never looked at the sticker on the bottom. Or perhaps his near vision is bad.

Mark.

KA9JLM likes this.
  5. KA9JLM

That is a bit confusing. It does not jive with what Greg posted. He normally does his homework. :)

Maybe I am missing something.

I would take the mic apart, And stop guessing how it is wired.

Or even better yet send it back to the seller and let him sell it for the Kenwood it is wired for.

6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

The way I see it is if you're selling an SM-6, then send them an SM-6.

Similar experience occurred when I put up an ad for an oscillator circuit to replace a broken one from a BC-348Q receiver I was restoring.

Guy responds to the ad stating he has the oscillator circuit part for the BC-348Q that I was looking for.

Only problem was when it arrived, it wasn't an original oscillator circuit from any BC-348Q. It was a generic oscillator circuit that could be "made to work" in a BC-348Q instead.

That's not what I was expecting or looking for.

KE0EYJ likes this.
  7. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The seller owned-up to it and has returned the money to my bank (still need to verify, but I am sure he has).

Case closed.

KA9JLM and KC8VWM like this.
  8. K7GLD

K7GLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Amen, and AMEN!

I too get thoroughly SICK of the "expert" electronics geniuses with WAYYYyyyy overgrown ego issues - more of their "targets" for their nastiness - as well as QRZ moderators, need to "encourage" them to take a hike elsewhere...

9. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I have found the people that often say, "Well, they didn't send you the right part, but you can make it work", have been victims too, but are often too lazy to send the item back, or too embarrassed to admit they got screwed. Sadly, they think everyone should do what they did.

Fearless leader at work has been screwed many times on items he gets from China -- some don't work at all, while others arrive beat to hell by China Post and DHL. The rest of the time they aren't quite what the seller claimed. We have lots of dust-collectors laying around the shop.

10. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

IF you get a dash 6, you should set the control at only about 1/3 of the way up from lowest setting for starters. The mic can have way more output than the 7300 needs. You don't want to overdrive the input and then you make all the other gain adjustments in the menu.