ad: M2Ant-1

Paddle adjustment.

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KC3GSV, Nov 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC3GSV

KC3GSV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello all.
    Finally getting some time to practice again. Finally got the Magnakeyer hooked up and really like how the paddle works. Find it easy to use. Having a lot of fun with CW!
    One question....I see it came with an Allen wrench and I see the four Allen screws, 1 on each post and 2 in the back. The left key occasionally hangs up. I wanted some advice from those more knowledgeable, as to what screws adjust what, as this is my first paddle and I don't want to bugger it up and get it totally out of whack! I would think that the screws are right hand thread.
    I have to go out for awhile, but, will be back later. Tnx for the help! Charlie.

2. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You should ask Andy. If there is a gap, it should not bind. My Magankeyer required no fiddling after I received it. It may be a mechanical issue?

3. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a guess, the ones on the posts are contact spacing and the two in the rear are for magnet "tension".
    Clockwise on the post reduces the spacing, and clockwise on the rear most likely increases the "tension".
    Mike N3PM

4. KC3GSV

OK, tnx guys. Should have asked Andy off the bat. Seems like a lot of guys have gotten the Magnakeyer and just wanted their thoughts. Charlie.

5. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

CHARLIE,
    CONGRATS ON UR NEW MAGNAKEYER.
    ENJOY THE WONDERFUL WORLD
    OF CW.

73 - K1LKP
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING
    THANKSGIVING CHARLIE BROWN.jpg

6. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Loosen the allen screw on the left post a hair, basically only loosen it a tiny bit until the left paddle stops hanging up.

7. KC3GSV

Thank for the advice guys and Andy was very fast getting back to me. Now I know what to do!

A Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

8. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ours went fine and I hope yours as well.
    Mike N3PM

9. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What is the cure, in the case the rest of us owners ever have it happen to ours...

10. KC3GSV

Well tnx to Andy replying to my query and I'm sure he won't mind me sharing his answer.

Rear Allen screws adjust the magnetic force to hold the contacts open. Keyers are shipped with the screws set for minimum force (screws turned fully counterclockwise) If a paddle occasionally hangs up adjust the screw clockwise about 1/2 a turn. Front screws adjust the gap between the contacts. Contact spacing and force should be adjusted to suit your personal tastes. Try different settings and find what feels good to you.

Thank you again to Andy and now I know what to try.

W1BR likes this.