Packet Software

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KU0DM, Nov 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KU0DM

KU0DM Guest

What would you all recommend for packet TX/RX software?
    Tnx es 73

2. KD8DHZ

KD8DHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I personally use winpack but i also like packrat

3. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Duncan,
    HF, VHF or both? Computer sound card or TNC ?
    i.e. Kantronics or PK-232 Multimode or packet only. I can help you out; but, need more info.
    Rob WA9UAA [​IMG]

4. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

Linux.

Okay, I'm half kidding, but Linux does have AX.25 capability available as a native kernel module. From there you can do NetROM, ROSE, and TCP/IP protocols. While it's not the easiest to configure, you will learn a lot and Linux is free, both gratis and libre.

One thing I've come to lament, and I used a lot of different packet programs years back, was that none approached the simpilicity and reliability of YAPP. Fortunately, YAPP still runs in FreeDOS and some years back I ran it in DOSemu on Linux. OTOH, YAPP had no concept of mutliple streams that later host mode programs like KaGold handled quite well and it was a chore using YAPP for HF modes. [​IMG] Those were the days!

I've been thinking about taking a spare radio and TNC that is already configured with UIdigi and burn a chip with TheNet X1J4 and put it up for the locals on 145.050. A little nostalgia would be fun as I haven't played with that stuff for about a decade.

5. KU0DM

KU0DM Guest

VHF, 1200 baud
    TNC, KPC2

6. WA9UAA

Hi Duncan,
    I am not familiar with the ?Kantronics? directly, but it sounds like you have a hardware modem to be used on a serial port. If so, you may be able to use a "terminal program' or modem program to talk with the hardware. You would also have to use the command mode to set the thing up. I am most familiar with the AEA PK 232. However, if it is a hardware modem on a serial port, the com port itself, baud rate, number of bits and stop bit will have to be set in the computer you are using. Another 'gottcha' is whether the device uses a modem cross over cable or a straight through wired cable. Internet research is your friend, lots of others have gone through this so the questions are probably out there. You might try Hyperterm in windows to start. If you have the instructions for the modem, the port settings should be in the documentation. For example, the PK 232 is set at 9600 baud, 8,n,1 i.e. 8 bits, no parity, one stop bit. With everything in place I type a " * " with out the quotes several times. The firmware will send some info to the computer screen. and show me a "CMD:=" prompt. At this time you will need access the the 'command set' to control the hardware for your modem. I'd guess most of the docs are available on line. The things you'll need first are the port settings for your modem and type of cable. As you are interested in VHF packet the command set will be limited as opposed to things like RTTY Pactor AMTOR etc. hihi. XP ware for windows will work and registration is free but I had to search out the site. Good Luck and let us know how you're getting along.
    Rob WA9UAA

7. KU0DM

KU0DM Guest

Thanks Rob!
    Will get back to you as soon as I get everything running.
    Tnx es 73

8. WA9UAA

Oh Hi, You were on while I was typing, hope it works out. If you have questions, go for it!
    Rob WA9UAA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.