Packet Radio software for BBC micro or PC

Discussion in 'Rig Control, Propagation, Cluster, & Other Softwar' started by G7MKK, Apr 14, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. G7MKK

G7MKK QRZ Member

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get back on packet radio, but I can't find my old software.

So I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'd like to use my PC (Windows 7) or my old BBC B micro.

Does anyone have the software / any suggestions where I could find it?

Cheers,
    James

2. W6RFC

W6RFC Ham Member QRZ Page

I am also trying to find software for packet using Win7 or Win10. I was never on packet, but want to get on simply because I wanted to many years ago, but was never able. Would be great to see some informed responses to this question.

Thanks in advance,

Ron

3. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

For just checking to see if your PC de-9 ( RS-232 ) port can communicate with a T.N.C., you might try a program called PuTTY ( ref. www.putty.org ). If you are looking for a program that is a bit more user friendly, some like Hypterterminal(tm/R)- which was provided in 'crippleware' format in Windows 95. Some functions did not work correctly in the version provided with that older O.S.- they wanted folks to buy the commercial version. Under Windows 7, Start Menu, All Programs, Accessories, you can access the Command Prompt. This is generally needed for starting those older DOS-based programs. My personal favorite was the non-commercial ( home use ) version of ProComm(tm). I have no financial interest in any of these companies. Names such as Windows 95, Windows 7, Windows 10, Hyperterminal, and ProComm are protected by legal means such as trademark, Copyright, etc. and below to the respective corporations which provide them. You might also consult www.timewave.com if your T.N.C. was labelled as made by A.E.A. or Timewave. I have no financial interest there, either- yet you can tell Mr. Gawtry that I said "hello" if you call. B.T.W.- I intentionally avoid Win10, because of automatic updates.

4. W6RFC

Thanks very much for all that! I'll give each a try and see what sticks. I appreciate you taking the time to lay all this out for me.

-- Ron

5. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

BBC Micro may be a bit underpowered for that. Even the Arduino-based packet / APRS stuff typically uses a separate PIC or similar to handle the encoding / decoding. A Raspberry Pi would likely be a better choice to do it all with one device.

6. W6RFC

Thanks for your comments

7. G7MKK

G7MKK QRZ Member

I found my old software, called PK232, for my BBC B so it is up and running again on packet now (with a Kantronics KAM TNC).

There's not much traffic, though.

Ron, can you post back how you get on cos I'd love to hook my Windows 7 PC up to the KAM.

Cheers,
    James

8. W6RFC

Yes, will do James. But I have plenty of tasks ahead of me, with lots of opportunities for hitches. Also somewhat limited time. I have an AEA PK-900. It came with an accessory cable. I found a manual online which should be very helpful. The cable needs to be adapted to the DB-9 on my old laptop I believe. Oh, and I need to get a couple 2m & one 220 antennas that I have, up again. I'd like to pursue this further with you, James. Will you contact me via my QRZ email?