ad: Sussex-1

PACIFIC DXPEDITIONER (KC0W) IMPERILED BY THEFT

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by W1YW, Sep 28, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom Callas, KC0W, is on a multi year DXpedition to many exotic DX spots--until today. He reports his entire DXpedition supplies , rigs, personal possessions--all of it--have been stolen on 28 Sept in Kiribati. (SEE TOM'S QRZed WEB PAGE).

Obviously distraught by these events, Tom is strongly considering cancelling the rest of his Dxpedition itinary.

Several folks are reaching out to Tom and seeing what he needs to continue--or return stateside. At this time, Tom has not assessed his options, but those who are in touch by his (private) email address will provide further info and requests as appropriate.

Tom will not be stuck in the Pacific. His friends and fellow DXers won't let him down.

Chip W1YW

KF5GV likes this.
  2. W6SDM

W6SDM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is terrible. I have worked Tom several times over the years from the States and more recently from American Samoa. I hope that the police in Kiribati can quickly track down whoever took his equipment.

Steve
    W6SDM

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

They stole the man's shoes....a new low.

:-(

SA1CKE, NJ9R and K9ASE like this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Kinda bad taste to make fun in a situation like this. Tom is a friend to many, including me and his circumstance at the moment hardly calls for jokes. I see from your QRZ page that you're just a kid, so I thought my reply would be one of those "teaching moments" folks refer to from time to time.

Best of luck to Tom in working through this mess. Most unfortunate.

Dave
    W7UUU

K7EDL, KC3BZJ, KC1ESB and 10 others like this.
  5. N7XCZ

N7XCZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That Is so Depressing, I too have worked Tom on his DXpedition Maybe if every Ham that logged a Contact with him could donate
    2.00 dollars or more their choice of course he could continue with his Dream vacation. Because that sure would be mine Hi HI
    maybe hams in the Know could set this up through some kind of agency I would be more than willing to help him out. Two dollars is what you would send for a paper card Right!? Good Luck with everything Tom DE N7XCZ

KC1ESB, K4SAW and K9ASE like this.
  6. N7RD/SK2023

N7RD/SK2023 Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a total disgust. It's amazing what our world has come to now days. I always thought and still do that, "what goes around come's around", I sure hope so in this case.

W9JEF, N0JAA, KC1ESB and 1 other person like this.
  7. N2ADV

N2ADV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thieves are the lowest form of life. Ugh

PD3EEF, N1EN and K8EF like this.
  8. G0WFH

G0WFH Ham Member QRZ Page

sorry to hear the bad news there is some scum bags out there

9. N7XCZ

N7XCZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is a Addendum to my previous post GoFundMe this type of agency might work

K4SAW likes this.
  10. UR3QTN

UR3QTN Ham Member QRZ Page

DEAR DAVE! UNDERSTAND THAT IT IS A GREAT SORROW NOT ONLY FOR ONE PERSON, BUT ALSO FOR MANY OTHERS. BUT I WANT TO ENCOURAGE OUR COLLEAGUE AT THIS DIFFICULT HOUR AND MAKE AT LEAST A LITTLE POSITIVE! 73! if I was closer, maybe even something to help him financially

W5WN, W0BTU and K9ASE like this.
  11. W6SDM

W6SDM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If someone sets up a Go Fund Me page, I will be glad to contribute.

K4SAW, KC8YLT and K2ZBA like this.
  12. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hope they find the rat bastards who took that. Certainly not something easily fencible on an island like that! What use would they have for it! I can see them stealing shoes, but Radios and antennas??
    They need to hunted down and Dealt with severely!!!
    so sorry that happened, Tom!!!

W9JEF likes this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom is a straightshooter; a proud guy and profoundly self-reliant. I like to describe him as 'tough with a gentle touch'. Especially on a keyer!

Let's see what he needs first and then respond. IMO your offer is an excellent one, and there are certainly those willing to donate much more as well. Let's see what he needs and see what he'll take from others:)

I just want to be sure he can get back stateside if needed....no word , for example, if they stole passport.

Chip W1YW

K4SAW likes this.
  14. UR3QTN

UR3QTN Ham Member QRZ Page

HAVE PITY ON THEM! THEY'RE JUST POOR, NOT EDUCATED NATIVES. MAYBE THEY DON'T HAVE SOMETHING TO EAT?... SORRY, IF THE EQUIPMENT JUST DISASSEMBLE, OR THROW.

15. K0AUG

K0AUG Ham Member QRZ Page