P25 for Ham Usage?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK4NSF, Dec 19, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

After having some limited exposure to governmental radio comms in the course of my work, I'm very impressed by the P25 Mode / Protocols that have been implemented over the last few years.... and I wonder if they (or some portions of them) could be applied to Ham Radio. They certainly offer a lot of advantages over our current VHF and UHF analog systems, and could help bring us along technically to a higher standard. Some of the Open Interfaces look especially useful.

Since I've not had any training or read any of the detailed technical data on P25, I have no idea how easy or difficult it might be.... but since many of our radios are software defined, it seems reasonable to me that such an implementation would be a matter of writing the proper software incorporating the modes/ protocols that are applicable. Obviously, as hams we could not use the encryption portions, but there are a number of P25 modes that are not encrypted and could be beneficial to use, especially for use in a disaster situation.

However, this is outside of my area of expertise and I have a few questions related to it:
    1. P25 does not appear to be proprietary, but is it otherwise restricted by law for non-governmental use?
    2. IS there a hardware component to the implementation that could not be replicated using software only?
    3. Has anyone done this.... and I've just not found their web-site yet?
    4. Has the protocol been published in a publicly available location so we can examine them for applicability to ham radio?
    5. If P25 is not directly usable, would it be possible to create a similar protocol for our own uses, using P25 architecture as a starting point?

Dave
    kk4nsf

ps: in case you are not familar with P25, here is the Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_25#P25_open_interfaces

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you Google for "P25 amateur radio" you'll find all kinds of discussion on the subject.

NL7W and AI7PM like this.
  3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

P25 radios and repeaters have been used by amateurs for many years, the standard is mostly public, the vocoder (IMBE and AMBE depending on Phase I or II) is not. If you want to see a truly open source, digital ham radio project, check out https://teletra.pl/M17/blog/summary

NL7W likes this.
  4. KR4YON

KR4YON Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

5. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure. It would be just as easy to implement as DMR, Fusion and DStar. It's just another time division frame definition squeezing the AMBE codec through it that's only interoperable with other radios that apply the same level of P25 standard.

My question is: When is someone going to implement a radio that, through firmware, implements DMR, Fusion, DStar *and* any other digital VHF/UHF digital standard that can be updated with a firmware update and automatically selects the correct protocol upon detection when scanning the frequencies?

K0EED likes this.
  6. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

While that sounds great on paper, in reality, there are licensing issues with the vocoder used in all the modes you mentioned, as well as system registration issues for many - you need to have registered on a system (with an ID or callsign) to be able to access. You can't just "scan, detect, and use".

7. K0EED

K0EED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't hold your breath for that to happen. Would love to see it and I believe that is the biggest drawback to the digital modes for most. Having to buy different radio's for different modes. They all need to get on the same page!!

WA9SVD, K8HIT and KK4NSF like this.
  8. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Or better yet, AR could move to using open-source DV codecs, and the radios could (better) support integration with outboard DV modems that can be field-upgraded by anybody as the open-source DV codecs change and improve. This is what HF digimodes do -- people use outboard software to communicate using whatever digimode software they download from the internet, or invent themselves.

Following the commercial DMR world is a lose-lose proposition for AR.

K0EED likes this.
  9. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

KK5JY likes this.
  10. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

KV6O DING!
    K0EED DING!
    KK5JY maybe... that would only require everybody who has bought a DMR radio or a Fusion radio or a DStar radio to scrap 'em.

I refuse to participate in the continued fracturing of hams by buying any radio that ONLY does DMR, or ONLY does Fusion, or ONLY does DStar, or ONLY does P25, or ONLY does...

Peace out.