ad: UR5CDX-1

Overpowering radio

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KN6GVI, Feb 14, 2020 at 6:29 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KN6GVI

KN6GVI Ham Member QRZ Page

This might be a dumb question.
    on 80m a person with one kilowatt transmits in the same town and is 60 plus will something bad happen to my radio.

2. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

No.
    I run the Alaska Statewide saturday swap net with 1500 watts on 75 meters... Neighbor about 1600 yards across a narrow lake participates in the net, no problems. He is usually barefoot, but occasionally under bad band conditions runs a kilowatt, doesn't bother me at all.
    He was 60 dB over S9 today, barefoot. He assured me my signal was pegging his meter hard over, but said my 1500 watts was narrow, clean and tight.

3. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

It won't DAMAGE your receiver, if that's what you are asking . . .

But whether you are able to hear other stations on the band is another question !

It depends on how clean his transmission is, but more especially, how your receiver copes with very strong signals.

If you find you have problems, try switching in the Attenuator (if your rig has one) as this will reduce front-end overload from his transmission.

Roger G3YRO

4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Think of it this way. Do you ever listen to the AM or FM broadcast band? Some of those stations run up to 50,000 watts how does something bad happen to the AM/FM receivers in the same town where the broadcast transmitters are located?

K0UO, KA0HCP and K8BZ like this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No damage.

Probably lots of interference!

K3XR likes this.
  6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to work in engineering for a 100 kW ERP FM. Our transmitter was atop Cougar Mountain near Seattle, in a compound w/ LOTS of other transmitters. It was said that that there was a million watts of RF in the air there. Many times, I drove there w/ my 2m FM squawk box radio. While there, I couldn't hear anything but, it returned to normal when I left. :)

K0UO and K3XR like this.
  7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW...I think me and my pacemaker would stay clear.

K0UO and WA7PRC like this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ever try just holding a 40W fluorescent tube at one end and holding it up in the air, there?

In that kind of field I've found the tube will illuminate to full brilliance, just holding one end with nothing connected to it.

"This lights my way at night...":p:)

K6LPM and K0UO like this.
  9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Whenever I was at "RF Hill", something was broken, and I was too busy to play with lights. :-/

K0UO likes this.
  10. VE4CY

VE4CY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There are people living in houses that are only 700 feet away from the WLS 50,ooo Watt Transmitting tower in Chicago. I’m sure their AM radios still work OK. (But it’s probably a lousy place to do broadcast band DXing).