Overheating issue

Discussion in 'RFinderPi - Open Source radio interface based on R' started by K2CQW, Mar 26, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K2CQW

K2CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

I just connected my RPi3B+ to my TV. It's in its case with the lid off. If I leave it on all the time, should I concerned about it overheating?

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Not if it has the heat sinks installed.

[​IMG]

3. K2CQW

Thanks, I'll get one

4. KA9JLM

It is best to use 1 large and 1 small. A big one for the CPU may be OK. I cool both of the chips that can run warm, CPU and WiFi.

You can buy the heatsink kit for cheap.

The good ones stick to the ICs using 3M thermal sticky tape.

Have Fun.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  5. K2CQW

$3.99, Amazon Prime, shows up tomorrow

6. KA9JLM

Cool Beans.

It sounds like Amazon is back up to speed again. :)

7. K2CQW

Bummer, they lied. Not showing until April 18. We've got nothing to but self-isolate.

8. G8GYW

G8GYW Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a curious experience recently. My Pi3B+ has those heatsinks, and a few weeks ago I installed CubicSDR. When the program was running it really caned the processor, the temperature went over 85C and the Pi started slowing down so I fitted a fan.

Then last week I did a clean install of Buster and reinstalled CubicSDR. Now when the program runs the temperature never goes over 60C even without the fan!

I know the developers are working on reducing the temperature of the Pi4 and I suppose it's possible that the latest software release contains some improvements?

It might be worth you trying that if you are concerned. Have you monitored the temperature?

9. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have ordered two tall RPi 3B+ cases from eBay. same deal on both: the shipper has a guaranteed delivery date of April 08... April 10... April 12... holding my breath... turning purple...

10. KA9JLM

Powerful processors make heat. A fan is your friend, Until it stops working. :eek: