Over the road ham operators truck drives

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by K9QCA, Mar 11, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
  1. K9QCA

K9QCA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi! I was just curious to know if there is any truck driver ham operators that do OTR ? If so I have a few questions concerning about my HF rig that I use in my day cab. Thanks 73 from kd9cdx

2. N1RND

N1RND Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi
    Although not an expert, I can try and help.
    I got out over the road along time ago. I'm a bulk tanker driver doing local work.
    I've played with cb/10m rigs in the company trucks, HF in my p/u and have an HF station at home.
    So shoot.

3. AA9G

AA9G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

4. WC5B

WC5B Ham Member QRZ Page

There are many many of us out and about. Drop a question and we will see what we can do. You would be surprised how many of us there are. Don't be scared to ask us around the truck stops either.

KC5JSR likes this.
  5. KD0EAH

KD0EAH Ham Member QRZ Page

Tag to follow.

6. PD0BJ

PD0BJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a trucker from The Netherlands, Europe. I usually operate from Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg while driving or static. But even while driving I made contacts with Siberia, India, Indonesia, Brasil, US and Europe. With good reports. My equipment is a Yaesu 857 connected to an ATAS 120. It's the ultimate combination to me. When I had issues with my equipment I never hesitated to ask for help. And there were always helpful fellow OP's. I have my fridge next to my seat. On top a rubber mat with a writingpad to write down the details. I never start a QSO when in heavy traffic or in a town. Always on the freeway/highway when traffic is quiet. Always keep my distance and eyes on the road and let the traffic prevail. I use the QRZ app to check the callsigns and details. Afterwards I can work out the details (logbook and such).
    Hope this is some help for you. 73!

7. KW4AK

KW4AK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes I'm an otr driver and will try to answer your questions....

8. AE7QT

AE7QT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

18 wheeler? yes, OTR? Yes, HF? Yes, Problems? Yes, now and then. I have worked people from most every state, and worked from almost every state on Freq of 160m-440cm. I was told once that the ARRL should make an award for "worked all states from all states" just for drivers like my self, that could be a fun one to earn. I've had lots of problems over the years, and there is always someone close by to help out via internet or on the air. You just have to ask, and be ready to test, mess with, and change things up to see what works for your situation. Few things that are for sure, one antenna that works great on one truck, may not play at all on another truck. Noise from internal, and external are always a problem. Finally, if you don't own your truck, or have a not so understanding boss, you will have more challenges to make things work the best you can with out getting your hand slapped. Good ground is key to making things work, but is very difficult to do in a mobile application, the better your grounding is, the less noise, the less RFI problems, and the better your whole system from radio to antenna will work. 73 ae7qt 18 wheel mobile

KC5JSR likes this.
  9. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

Every vehicle present a issue with respect to providing a decent amount of metal mass directly under (not along side) the antenna. Semi tractors are the worst of the lot! Most newer models are basically all fiberglass and/or composite materials. About the only metal masses are the engine, frame, and the fuel tanks. About the only thing worse is a motor home.

Mounting locations are always limited, especially so when the tractor doesn't belong to you. Common mode is always a issue, as are the electronics, but not so much as far as injector RFI, unless the engine controls are based around a shuttle system.

Power? Not so much, but far too many don't wire things correctly, even if they own the tractor.

Like any other mobile install, it takes time to get it right!

KC5JSR likes this.
  10. K9ILL

K9ILL Ham Member QRZ Page

Believe it or not... I run a two foot Wilson FGT-2 CB antenna with a 37 1/2 ins ss whip. Yes, I said a "CB" antenna. On 14.300 mHz, SWR is 1.1.1, WITHOUT a tuner. The CB antenna costs about $18.00 on Ebay and the whip costs about $20.00 at any truck stop. With my MFJ versa tuner II, I can also work 15 and 17 meters on the CB antenna.
    Last wekk, I bought a Silver bullet mini coil from WOLF RIVER COILS and installed a cheap MFJ 40 meter hamstick and it works great.
    The Silver Bullet Mini coil works from 10 to 40 meters.. Heres a vid of the coil.
    The MFJ ham stick cost $20 and the coil was about $55.