Outlook is such garbage as an e-mail.

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WA3LKN, Jul 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WA3LKN

WA3LKN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My choice of e-mail provider now (gmail) is able to completely eliminate the 100+ spams I get a day on Outlook, and I don't have to sift through the crap to find the occasional legitimate one with Outlook. I get zero spams a day. I love it. Your birds can crap on Outlook e-mail.

I rest my case.

2. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Which is fine provided you are prepared to allow someone's attempt at an intelligent filter to delete email addressed to you - I'm not. GMail's spam filtering is no more intelligent than Outlook's - those few legitimate emails that end up in the Outlook spam box are getting dumped straight in the bin by GMail. If you are getting 100+ spam messages arriving in Outlook, it is because you've been careless with your email address. I've had my Hotmail address for twenty five years - since before Microsoft bought up Hotmail and rebranded it Outlook. This morning, I have ten messages in my spam folder - and none of them are really spam. Four are marketing emails from Rosetta Stone sent because I have purchased some of their products, one is a daily report from another forum that I sometimes frequent and five are status messages generated by a server which I manage. I probably should put in the effort to reconfigure Outlook to not classify these as spam, but that would require that I read the instruction manual and I really can't be bothered.

Martin (G8FXC)

KA0HCP and KK9W like this.
  3. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

NK2U likes this.
  4. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Email Client - Outlook in this case. It connects to any email service. Has decent spam filtering and in the picture shown looks like it is working correctly. Has nothing to do with spam being sent to you.

Email Service Provider - The company who receives email sent to you. Has nothing to do with spam being sent to you. Most do spam filtering for you. One example is unknown in this thread. Another mentioned is gmail. Most have web interfaces so that you don't need a Client.

Email Address - Your personal address. You can change it by getting a different one at your current Email Service Provider or going to a different Email Service Provider. Has nothing to do with spam being sent to you.

Spammer - The only one that is causing spam to be sent. Getting a new address will stop spam for a while until your address gets harvested, then it starts all over again.

The complaint is that the OP saw Spam being correctly filtered in their Client. So changed their Service Provider, stopped using their old Client, and changed their Address. Since this is a new address and not yet harvested the spam has temporarily stopped. Therefor they complain about their Client, the one variable that has nothing to do with the problem and was actually solving it by correctly filtering the junk mail.

They could open Outlook back up and connect it to gmail and have the exact same results. They could have just changed their email address at their old Service Provider and had the exact same results. Using the bird cr*p analogy they bought a different car and parked it at a new location. Therefor the brand/model of car is at fault.

Unless it is never used it is almost certain the new address will get harvested eventually. And the spam will start up again.

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's what is the problem:

My personal name<at>verizon<dot>net ONLY will work with the AO*ell e-mail client; NOT T-bird, NOT Win 10 Mail, NOTHING ELSE; ONLY the AO*ell software will recognize my password.

BUT>>> I can use mycallsign<at>verizon<dot>net, and THAT works (with the same password) with T-bird, Win 110 Mail, on any computer using those programs. AO*ell can't (or won't?) explain THAT.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  6. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

7. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Outlook and gmail - what could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  8. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

That's easy to say but where do you host it? Sure you can setup your own SMTP server at the likes of Digital Ocean or Linode etc for $5 per month. I've foolishly done that sort of thing in the past.

Simply receiving mail is easy although how you deal with incoming spam?

The hard part is sending mail and have it not considered as spam by the receiver. You need to setup reverse DNS, SPF, DKIM etc and there are still no guarantees. The big email providers seem to be able to get it right.

9. WA3LKN

WA3LKN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

10. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Eh, it's been two decades that I've used that combo. Works fine so far. It is nice having complete local backups. The only downside is turning on a rarely used laptop and waiting a little while during the sync. (Yes, I know I can set it to only download the headers but when I use that laptop it is often with no internet access and so I find it handy to have the message bodies already local.)