Outlook is such garbage as an e-mail.

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WA3LKN, Jul 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The only time I've been heavily spammed, I did it myself accidentally. I was managing a server which was crashing intermittently, so I set up a script to notify me by email that it had gone - but I made a coding error - the next time it went down, my script hit my Hotmail account with several thousand messages... I had to eat a lot of humble pie with both Microsoft and Amazon before they let me back into the system!

Martin G8FXC

2. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I get ZERO spam using my personal Outlook account. Perhaps somewhere you have used your email for a mailing list or account was compromised.

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Outlook does a great job of handling spam.

You need to configure the "Rules" for how to handle messages using sorting by Originator, Subject, Source Domain, etc.

As soon as you see a spam email, right click on it and select Rules and define what should be done with the bad message.

Very simple and effective.

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not always the e-mail client. Verizon sold their I'net and e-mail (in the U.S. according to Verizon) to AO*ell. NOW, my e-mail addresses ending in "verizon.net" are on the AO*ell server. While AO*ell gives instructions on importing ee-mail from the AO*ell server through Thunderbird, my password(s) (that work with the AO*ell software) get rejected when sent by T-Bird. If I ask them to even TRY to figure things out, after a few minutes, I mysteriously get cut off, and can't try again for another 24 hours, and have to start all over with a different tech. (I'm in the process of changing to "g-mail," even though I have had the "verizon.net" accounts for over 20 years.)

5. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

What works for me is having multiple e-mail addresses: one for family, one for purchases, one for bills I pay, and a trash one I use for anything which may net even a hint of spam.

The only time I receive spam in my "clean" accounts is if somebody uses my e-mail address elsewhere as or as a cc or such.

KP4SX likes this.
  6. W2SGM

W2SGM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Multiple email addresses is the way to go. One domain, the ability to create aliases to the main mailbox, and a new email address every time you give it out to some website or create an account. Start getting spam to an alias, and you can just shut it down. As a bonus, you get to know exactly who sold or lost control of your data.

M0RVB and KK9W like this.
  7. NQ4T

NQ4T XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Verizon did not "(sell) their I'net and e-mail to AO*ell." Verizon outright purchased AOL back in 2015. In 2017 Verizon stopped running their own email and migrated all the Verizon internet subscribers that were using the email over to AOL Mail. This was largely because actual usage of verizon.net email addresses was low and, despite your opinions, AOL already had much better and advanced email infrastructure than Verizon did. They never actually got past the POP3/SMTP era and last I knew...their webmail was pretty sad. They never actually did anything with their internet service as far as AOL was concerned. I don't know what impact it had, if any, on the 8 million dial-up subscribers AOL still had in 2015. I haven't looked in well over 15 years as to what dial-up points were even out there. By this time AOL was more of a digital media company, and that's what Verizon was after.

They recently sold AOL and Yahoo to an investment firm. Who knows what that will mean for the AOL Mail people. There was probably some deal as part of the sale to continue service. I don't know.

8. WA3LKN

WA3LKN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe I was doing it wrong but I never found those sorting 'rules' to be of any use. I tried suppressing any e-mails that had any terms like "male enhancement" or "Congratulations!" or "You've Won!" and never was able to effect anything. Switching to gmail was the best move and I've had zero spams in the 1.5 years.

What is interesting is that I used to get countless of spams telling me my "Amazon Order" couldn't be delivered until they got some information or my "Bank Americard" info needed to be confirmed. I don't get any of that now. That tells me the Amazon folks and the Bank Americard folks were able to suppress their spams, so it can be done.

9. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with those who don't see the problem. The spam is being detected and going into the right place. It makes no sense at all to call that "garbage".

I think there is some confusion here between Outlook the desktop application, Outlook.com which is Microsoft's free web email and Outlook365 which I think is the paid version of that. There used to be Outlook Express which is yet another "Outlook" but I think that's long gone.

I have an Outlook.com account which I never use. kt1f@outlook.com. I grabbed it years ago because it allows four character addresses which Gmail doesn't. As an experiment I've tested the spam filter by publishing the address on these forums a couple of times in the past and it hasn't picked up much spam at all and anything it does get goes correctly in the "Junk Email" folder. Among other things, that probably suggests that spammers no longer crawl web pages looking for email addresses like they did years ago. They've found better ways if collecting addresses and I haven't used this address anywhere.

I think the big guns like Google, Microsoft etc can do spam filtering well because they have such massive amounts of data to play with and analyze. For better or worse, I use Gmail and spam is pretty much just something I remember from decades ago.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  10. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That could explain it. Reading the initial post was more than a little confusing. What they heck does your choice of email client have to do with people sending you spam? This is like complaining about your brand of car because birds keep cr*pping on it.

KK9W likes this.