Outlook is such garbage as an e-mail.

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WA3LKN, Jul 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA3LKN

WA3LKN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was getting too much spam mixed in with the occasional legit message, so I switched to gmail about 1.5 years ago and have been very pleased with zero spam.

I keep the microsoft account because I sometimes have to do 'teams' or similar.

Here's what my Outlook junk mail looks like after a few days:

Outlook.jpg

2. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems to be doing exactly what it should be doing! It's identifying probable spam and putting it into a separate folder for you to inspect and deal with as you see fit. The alternative is to have some automatic system delete my messages before I've had a chance to review them - and I would not be happy about that. You have an "Empty Folder" button and the server will delete anything in the junk mail folder after ten days - that seems reasonable to me...

Martin (G8FXC)

3. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

What Martin said.

This is not an Outlook failing, this is the result of that email address ending up on a bunch of spammer lists. The same thing will eventually happen with your Gmail account as well.

BTW, you may want to have an admin replace that image with one that obscures your folder list. There appear to be a few that contain sensitive info. Your folder names are rather descriptive. ;)

Chris

4. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I use "Thunderbird" as my email client. I share your dislike of "Outlook"...

But I think that the internet provider is a problem too. I am stuck on Comcast. They used to have pretty good spam filters in place. No longer. Most of my email is spam these days. I've tried to do filters, but the spammers are always way ahead of my mostly futile efforts. Now, I just do a control D on most of the stuff and send it to the bit bucket. I could do a control A and clear it all out, but there is real email mixed in with the spam. At any rate, it does not take too long to clear out the crap.

Welcome to the 21st century...

NK2U and WA9SVD like this.
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

But Sex Secrets should not go to junk mail. :p

KD4MOJ and WF7A like this.
  6. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

It may not be a failing of Outlook, but it certainly is a failing of MS.

Up until about 2 months ago, I had a email account through my web host, Godaddy. I had it for about 10 years and it worked great with Thunderbird. While Godaddy was a bit expensive, it met all of my needs. Then Godaddy decided that they didn't want to handle mail any more and sold out our email accounts to MS. If I wanted to keep that address, I had to sign up with Office 365. Access was through Outlook. Of course, they didn't provide a refund for less service. I hadn't had any spam for 10 years and the second it was set up, the spam started arriving. It was a 60 day free trial, but I got so tired of the spam I deleted the account. In fact, I am in the process of moving all of my hosting off of Godaddy.

I also have a Yahoo account. That account works great. No spam. And I have had the Yahoo account longer than the other one. I have a couple of Gmail accounts, but I don't use them very often so I can't judge it.

7. WF9Q

WF9Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It really does not matter any more, all of my email is either on our corporate domains or private. Email is pretty much useless, its nothing to have 600 plus per day per account. Just select all and delete, at one time I would try to pick out good stuff. If its really important they can pick up the phone and call us. Cloud based is fine if you are swapping recipes with friends, however when its important and some what private stay off "cloud" based systems.

Years ago I had an IEEE email alias and that was nice but they forced everyone to google cloud. I don't use it and this is the last year of my membership with IEEE (other issues besides the email alias). Its best to pay a few dollars and get your own domain and use Thunderbird its about the best option. Keep in mind nothing is private because your DNS server along with your ISP is still harvesting your data for profit and NOT paying you for it.

8. WA3LKN

WA3LKN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing HIPAA non-compliant. ACR= American College of Radiology.

KI4POT likes this.
  9. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's only two ways to avoid receiving spam email - either keep your email address secret, or configure the email server to delete incoming messages which it believes are spam. I use Hotmail for personal email and the level of spam is not particularly high - but I do go to some trouble to avoid publicising my email address except to friends and business contacts. Our company runs its own email servers to host business email on our own hardware and using moderately expensive commercial server software - absolutely no Microsoft, Google or Apple involvement at all. Several email addresses became known on the web and we eventually had to abandon them because the level of incoming spam was simply too great to manage. We simply disabled the offending email addresses, creating aliases for them and notifying our contacts to use the new addresses. That has worked well enough for more than a year, but I'm now seeing indications of spam levels building up and I fear that we are going to have to do it all over again...

Martin (G8FXC)

10. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. When my email was attached to my domain, I used Thunderbird and didn't get any spam. Until Godaddy sold us down the river. Only with the Office 365 email did I get spam. I discarded that email account.

I don't get 600 of anything a day, except maybe mg of Metformin. But on my Yahoo account, I don't get any spam.

Although, one time, before retirement, I received 18,000 emails. That took Thunderbird all day to pop all of that mail off. None were exactly spam, but that's another story.

WF9Q likes this.