Outgoing RTTY Monitor Tones

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by NG1I, Sep 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. NG1I

NG1I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello All,

Just finished the CQ WW RTTY contest with my 7300. I had enabled the monitor function via the Function setting --> monitor so I could monitor my outgoing signal as per the manual. However, I can't turn up the volume of it to match the incoming RTTY tones as I used to do so the a TS-2000.

Is there any way to increasing my outgoing RTTY monitor signals which I hear very well....almost too loud but when I turn it down, I can't hear the Outgoing tones?

Thanks
    Frank
    NG1I

2. EI4HWB

EI4HWB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Press "Multi" knob, select "monitor" and set it to your preferences.

3. NG1I

I did that but there was very weak volume but the incoming signal was super loud....can't get the outgoing signal to increase volume

4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Monitor level should be proportional to your mic gain. Turn off any audio processing and bring your mic gain up a bit....until the ALC BARELY kicks in.

5. EI4HWB

EI4HWB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What you describe is a bit confusing, "monitor" setting is for outgoing signal, how could it affect what you receive?

6. NG1I

OK thank you...I'll try that

Frank
    NG1I

7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

On most rigs (not sure about all of them), the monitor volume is also controlled by the audio gain control

8. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, I think that in many (most?) rigs Transmit Monitor volume is separate from receive audio level.
    For example -- on the Kenwood TS-570S and SG, the TX Moni level is regulated by the MULTI control, not receive audio (AF gain).

This makes perfect design sense since --for example-- you may want to crank up receive audio to hear a weak signal.
    If that also controlled transmit monitor, you'd have to crank it down each time you transmit to keep from blasting yourself with your monitor.

Think about trying to do that with a rig that has Full Break-In cw (QSK).

;)