Out-of-band QSO

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5KTD, Jul 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When Novices first got a 40 meter subband it was 7175-7200 kc. Then it was expanded to 7150-7200 kc. 7100-7150 came last.

Of course moving the Novice subbands lower in frequency meant old crystals were useless for Novices.

W0FS likes this.
  2. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

When you understand some peoples need to have authority in their lives its obvious why this is a hot button issue for some. I don't know if its Dunning-Kruger or Stockholm syndrome or a bit of both but its the main reason throughout history why good people do terrible things for "Their Gubimint" even when confronted and the blank stare comes forward. I think one of the most basic American values is to leave others alone if they are not harming anyone. But today we have HOA's, Commission's , boards and self appointed Hollingsworths to make sure some feel comfortable in their own skin. Comfort is not an inalienable right though as hard as the mob tries to make it so.

I just think its crazy though that we need a thread to discuss interlopers out side the prescribed band edges while contesters can stomp all over nets and other qso's with abandon and call it fair. That's clearly stomping on other right to quiet enjoyment but its accepted as course. Again we can ignore bad behavior if authority says its fine. Just plain silly and we can see the net result of that on the streets right now.

N8VIL, AA4MB, DM2TT and 4 others like this.
  3. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

It is a "violation of International Treaty to which the United States is a signatory", as I was told on my Official Notice of Violation
    from FCC Field Monitoring Station, Grand Island Nebraska in 1968. I was 150Hz low from 14,000kHz

There is no way you might reasonably anticipate who you are interfering with. That's why we have limitations and agreements, even with our
    most-intractable adversaries.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    W0FS and N2EY like this.
  4. K1APJ

K1APJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

True, but if I recall correctly, the "old" 7150 - 7200 novice cw crystals then became phone crystals, which sort of fit into the grand scheme of non-renewable licenses back then.

5. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem with "assigned frequency" or "centre frequency" versus "reference frequency" or "suppressed carrier frequency" is as old as SSB.

Some professional gear was switchable to either show "assigned" or "reference" depending on what the Administration required for type-acceptance. The international frequency lists are also ordered by "assigned frequency".

It appears that most amateurs of "yesteryear" before digital frequency readouts were common had the necessary common sense to understand and apply the difference, as I do not recall problems of this kind happening during the 60s and 70s.

The occasional "band excursion" caused by crystals not oscillating on the expected frequency, drifty VFO:s and the 100 kHz crystal checkpoint confusion did of course happen...

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

DM2TT and N2EY like this.
  6. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

I recall the ham and marine definitions of SITOR/AMTOR frequencies are different, one is center and one is carrier. There were enough sailors using PK-232s and modded ham gear to access WLOs SITOR services and setting the frequency wrong that their ops had a table of dial frequencies they would give out. I think they gave up on making people use legal marine gear and just wanted them on frequency at least :rolleyes:
    Anyway IMHO it is a worthy project for any ham to learn their gear and how to operate it in-band instead of hoping it just won't transmit.
    Isn't there a similar issue with 60 meters? I recall some frequency lists for 60 are 3 KHz or so off if you use them as dial frequencies?

7. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know about then, but there is a SW station on 13.850 now, so there are at least some services pretty close to our bands.

8. KE4ET

KE4ET XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Author of a logging program here, PyLogJam. In my program I use expected minimum bandwidths for each mode and submode to determine if a frequency will necessarily result in transmission outside a band edge. The program won't allow that frequency to be entered in such cases. But all the myriad digital modes are a PITA to deal with and for many I don't even know the relationship between the reference frequency and the band stripe that is acutally used! Sigh... And of course there are those with the really wide signals, whether they intend them to be or not.

N2EY likes this.
  9. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

In times past, both Air Force MARS and Navy-Marine Corps MARS heavily used allocations just above-and-below 40m band limits
    and above 75m. They were military frequencies authorized to DOD use--no others. I received a notification from a US Navy security activity for being
    250Hz off center-frequency on a Navy MARS DSB-AM-Phone net on 4040kHz.

Navy MARS Headquarters station NAV transmitted 100WPM teletype traffic broadcast just kc's up from 7300.

10. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

13.570-13.870 is the 22m broadcast band.