Out-of-band QSO

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5KTD, Jul 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, the crystal controlled requirement only applied to Novices. Newcomers who bypassed the Novice license could use VFOs from Day 1.

The requirement helped keep some crystal manufacturers in business for a few decades.

But it didn't work perfectly. Some Novices found out the hard way that the marked frequency of a crystal wasn't necessarily inside the Novice subband.

And then there was the harmonic trap.....

In the days when Novices had to use crystal control, none of the HF Novice allocations were harmonically related. It was easy to tune up using the wrong crystal or the wrong harmonic and cause havoc.

Worse, the harmonics of the 80 meter Novice band were outside the 40 meter amateur band, and on an HF aviation band.

Ancient history now. The crystal-control-for-Novices requirement went away almost 50 years ago.

W4NNF likes this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not sure what you mean by "How is it that they?" Assuming your receiver is accurate, they are just out of band. As for how they keep their tickets? If the FCC won't do anything about places like 7.200 MHz, do you really think they are interested in devoting enforcement resources to some shmoes 2 KHz out of the ham band?! :D

KS4W and W0FS like this.
  3. W4NNF

I dunno about that. Oh, you're dead right about enforcement...but... I think out-of-band operations were actually far more common 50 years ago when, given the nature of most receivers and transmitters, you were only sure approximately where you were in the band. I was always careful to keep well away from the band edges, but some weren't. And some, like today, didn't give a flying fig. ;)

WZ7U and N2EY like this.
  4. W4NNF

I have not done the MARS <ahem> mods on any of my rigs. No reason to do so. If there's an active MARS detachment down here, I don't know about it and certainly am not a member. But if I did modify a radio in that fashion, it still wouldn't be a problem. Just like in the old days I STILL stay away from the band edges.

Otherwise...reading all about the MARS mods here on the Zed all the time...I'm astounded...didn't realize MARS was such a growing and thriving concern these days. :D

5. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Just what I wanted to ask (but were afraid of) why, and when, were transceivers fit with subtle programmed or circuitry frequency limits/boundaries, also LSB/USB with band changes, and all the likes.
    Which manufacturer lead the Ā«modernismĀ» move, which rig, how was perceived, etc...

In a sense, taking everything out of operator's hands is the perfect motive for some radioamateurs to try and modify, ain't?
    The less responsabilities, the less responsible, exact contrary to a self-regulated hobby.
    May be too off topic.

Oliver

M0TTQ and KA0HCP like this.
  6. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's because there were so few of them!

In my Novice days (1967-68), the Novice bands were

3700-3750 kc.
    7150-7200 kc.
    21,100-21,250 kc.
    145-147 Mc.

And that was all. Easy to remember!

They were on the Novice test - which brings up an interesting point....

The old Novice test was originally just 20 questions. Then and now, the passing grade was 74%. This meant you could only get 5 wrong and still pass. Does that make the exam harder or easier than one with more questions?

Sure - think about WHY.

One reason was that the FCC did swift and effective enforcement back then. Another was that all it took was a word from the parental units and you were off the air. (I never heard of parents telling FCC to suspend or revoke an amateur license, but I suspect the FCC would do it.)

The crystal control requirement also doubled QRM due to everyone working split. It also made long calls necessary, to allow time to find people answering CQs.

The crystal control and 75 watt requirement had another interesting effect: they promoted homebrewing and kit building. A simple oscillator or MOPA transmitter could be built inexpensively if all it had to do was generate low-power crystal-controlled HF CW. It also created a kind of equality - the ham running 15 watts input was only about an S-unit weaker than the one running the 75 watt limit.

Towards the end of the crystal control era, there appeared a "Novice crystal exchange" initiative, so that Novices could sell/trade/donate crystals rather than spending $2.95 each for them. A great idea, 20 years too late, because soon after that VFOs were allowed.

Ancient history now....

KG4RRH and PU2OZT like this.
  7. W4NNF

Thanks, Jim. I like ancient history. Of the amateur radio sort, anyhow. :)

N2EY, KG4RRH and PU2OZT like this.
  8. K1APJ

K1APJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As well as the Novice band change trap-

I forget the sequence of events, but the 40m Novice band was at 7.100 - 7.150 for a while, and at 7.150 to 7.200 for a different while.... Can't remember which came first.

N2EY likes this.
  9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I suspect there are more than a few who studied for their new license and learned they can go all the way up to 14.350 and don't understand why they can't.

10. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

For all of you getting all excited about "Mars Mod" radios, you might ponder on the fact that even without a mod, most radios can sit on 14.350 USB, which would be out of band. They also certainly allow someone to use the Extra portions of the band without actually being an Extra. Then you have radios like the SGC series and any number of marine or aircraft HF radios that can work 2-30 MHz continuous plus vintage radios that could work up to 14.5 MHz or so with no mods.
    I would say that a ham should strive to learn how to operate the equipment he or she has correctly instead of trying to make it mistake-proof.

AA4MB, DM2TT, N4KLS and 10 others like this.