Out-of-band QSO

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5KTD, Jul 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. N5AL

N5AL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, I remember those days. With a handful of crystals, you only had a few frequencies where you could transmit. Calling CQ involved tuning your receiver up and down the band segment, because the other newcomer answering your call probably wouldn't have the same frequency transmit crystal as you. More work, but it was still fun.

KA2FIR and KG4RRH like this.
  2. K5ABB

K5ABB Ham Member QRZ Page

I dunno about the xtal controlled business. I was a crystal novice, but some who came later got VFO's and i'm not sure that there were too many out-of-zone excursions by them. I DO know this... When we were novices we KNEW our permissible frequencies of operation! Knew 'em like we knew our own Mom's name, or our own telephone numbers. I can still recite them TODAY, just like they were the Pledge of Allegiance... And we were scared as HELL of the FCC and even the OO's.

The good news is that we all learned to work split 'cause it's all we ever did except when a General came up to visit with his VFO zero beated to us. I think contemporary newcomers are all at least somewhat aware that the FCC have left the building, and besides, rules are so, meh, outdated.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    WA1GXC, PU2OZT and WN1MB like this.
  3. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

No good deed goes unpunished.

W0FS likes this.
  4. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am not excusing the action in any way, shape or form.

However, I am just curious, what service is interfered with by the ham transmitting on 14352?
    Is there a legitimate service operating that close to our band?
    Before answering, make sure you have read the first sentence above.

KI7TGX and PU2OZT like this.
  5. W4JFA

W4JFA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, it ain't rocket science.

6. AG5CK

AG5CK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That depends on which band edge, which side band you're using, audio bandwidth and sideband suppression and IMD.

3k away is a good rule of thumb but hams need to understand how this stuff works. A SDR gives a good visual. Many will hear an AM qso on 0.000, move up 3kc and start their own qso on lsb. That doesn't work but they're 3kc away and don't think they're doing anything wrong. Even 5kc is too close in this situation.

That was a real issue here. A couple of the offenders hold advanced class licenses and should know better.

W7TCT and PU2OZT like this.
  7. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing and it’s called virtue signaling

N1IPU likes this.
  8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

As a practical matter, these days, the answer to your first question is... probably none.

While the frequency spectrum is assigned to other users, they may not be using them. That is a discussion for another thread.

That said... this does not change the fact that, under 47 CFR 97, we are not supposed to transmit signals outside of the Amateur radio allocations (and/or the allocations assigned to our particular license class). Strictly speaking, it doesn't matter that the aforementioned Amateur, as a practical matter, may not be interfering with another radio service when transmitting a signal partly or wholly out of band. We're still expected to follow the rules.

So just because there may be no (or no known) interference doesn't make it right. Strictly speaking.

Not excusing or condoning the improper operation(s) either, BTW. Just answering the question.

K2XT and WA1GXC like this.
  9. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am puzzled why anyone would knowingly go out-of-band - the bands are so quiet that there is no need to open up lebensraum!

Martin (G8FXC)

10. K5ABB

K5ABB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham radio "freebanders" lol.

WZ7U likes this.